Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 814

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    So Saturday I hand-loaded some fresh Delta 400, not exactly the OP's Tri-X, but close in a general sense.

Ran a test to find my limits again, ... The prints from 160 & 800 are virtually indistinguishable.
    Great test! Need some higher-scale tests, you know black dog in shade of a tree in a park with the white dog in the sun. Brown dog can play Frisbee with a gray card. But still a great test (since you went to the trouble to do it) and proves its point.

I never got to ask Todd-Zakia when they did the demonstration that 2-stops underexposed pretty much trashed your chances. Theirs was a guy in the sun in a suit with a white shirt and sunglasses, gray scale and gray card...

These are the questions I could never ask them:

Did you cut the film and develop the 800 longer and the 160 less? Did you go to great heroics to make the best possible prints? Was there any clear choice if you had to pick a favorite, did negs near 250 print the easiest? Any gleanings like that from this test?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Great test! Need some higher-scale tests, you know black dog in shade of a tree in a park with the white dog in the sun. Brown dog can play Frisbee with a gray card. But still a great test (since you went to the trouble to do it) and proves its point.

I never got to ask Todd-Zakia when they did the demonstration that 2-stops underexposed pretty much trashed your chances. Theirs was a guy in the sun in a suit with a white shirt and sunglasses, gray scale and gray card...
    I get a kick out of the extremes of exposure placement that people expect will fall gracefully onto a given sheet of paper without burn and dodge. I'm more amazed a people's reluctance to apply a bit of flash to the black dog in the shade.

The 2 under thing isn't a surprise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    These are the questions I could never ask them:

Did you cut the film and develop the 800 longer and the 160 less? Did you go to great heroics to make the best possible prints? Was there any clear choice if you had to pick a favorite, did negs near 250 print the easiest? Any gleanings like that from this test?
    Ok Bill, in order.

The set of 10 I talked of above were all developed the same per Ilford's instruction sheet for EI 500, the target was normal contrast, only exposure was varied.

No great heroics on this set.

I use a Beseler PM2L to set enlarger exposure, the challenge is mostly in finding the right point on the negatives to peg to. The PM2L has the same issues as any meter does in the field, one must properly judge what is being measured. (For those that don't know the PM2L and it's kin are basically spot meters for the enlarger.) Once I found the right point to peg to the negatives were equally easy to print. All done at grade 2.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 11-07-2012 at 02:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Hit submit too quick by accident.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin