Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,375   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

LED panel for white background - metering for

I've recently acquired a LED panel to use as a background for small still life shots in B&W. I can't get my head around how to meter for the panel so that it comes out a true white. I have been using a incident meter to measure the light coming off the panel (right up to the panel face) and setting it at 2 to 3 stops above my exposure and main light. I think this might be too much? But I just can't figure this one out.

Thanks for your help.
    David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Two or three stops brighter then your main light might be too strong of an overexposed background. You might end up with the light bleeding around your subject.

If the background is already white, a one stop extract value over your main light should be enough to keep the background white, while added a kicker rim light around the subject.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would want to use a reflected light meter that way - not an incident light meter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights*."

*or print with multigrade paper to get the highlights correct

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin