Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    And all this is completely besides the main point anyway: don't connect a flash with more than 50V trigger voltage to Yongnuo radio triggers, they are not built for that.
    I will have to take your word for that. It seems totally wrong to me though especially as one of the stock answers to using old flashes on new cameras is "Just to be sure, always use a radio trigger" !!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I will have to take your word for that. It seems totally wrong to me though especially as one of the stock answers to using old flashes on new cameras is "Just to be sure, always use a radio trigger" !!
    Funny thing is that even Pocket Wizards are only rated up to 200V trigger voltage, and due to a patent they were pretty much the only game in town for a long time. What I did see suggested to avoid trigger voltage problems was a compatible small flash on the hot shoe in manual mode used to trigger studio flashes through their optical slave cell.
    Last edited by Rudeofus; 12-30-2012 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: removed incorrectly placed word
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    A probably useful table for this kind of problems:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What I did see suggested to avoid trigger voltage problems was a compatible small flash on the hot shoe on in manual mode used to trigger studio flashes through their optical slave cell.
    A small flash or even the camera's own flash with an infra red (or very dark red) filter will usually fire opto triggers.

and due to a patent they were pretty much the only game in town for a long time.
    Just out of interest, I looked up the data sheet for the GE3020P opto triac used in the circuit (fig. 2) and found it was rated at 400v. The GE3010P used in a circuit further down (fig. 5) is rated at 250v.

The thing I don't get with flash voltage compatibility (or not) is that it is possible to make a fully electronic camera and by including a component which costs very little, make it work with any flash ever made. Yet it would appear that some designers have chosen not to. I think this is very foolish.

I put this down to three possibilities: Paranoia, stupidity or a ploy by marketing people to get you to buy only their compatible products!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 12-30-2012 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    A camera like the RZ67 which doesn't have any special flash function except trigger it then a simple mechanical contact would be cheaper to make and would support just about any voltage. Is it possible that the polarity of the Youngnuo trigger reversed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Is it possible that the polarity of the Youngnuo trigger reversed?
    I don't know the details of that trigger but it's easy to make the polarity irrelevant by fitting an opto-triac as is the case for the Pocket Wizard circuit in the patent Rudeofus linked to above.

Steve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin