Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,347   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Problems with YongNuo triggers

Well, I had ordered some YongNuo triggers today, and judging by the reviews I had very high hopes for them.

After the batteries were put in, they lit up, and the LEDs were functioning perfectly on the wakeup function, as well as turning the correct color when the shutter fires. All seems good.

EXCEPT they don't fire the flash! They're obviously getting the radio signal and working correctly, only the don't fire my Vivitar 275 or my Minolta 2800AF.

The hotshoe is clearly designed for Nikon flash, so do these only fire TTL flashes? In that case, shouldn't the Minolta fire?

Help!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the first YN triggers I bought (rf602), they behaved as you said but didn't fire the flashes too. Good thing the shop was close to my home so I just had it replaced. Check if the channels are correct, and maybe change the battery. If not, get a refund/exchange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The channels are correct, and the lights correctly flash when the shutter fires. You think it's an issue with the triggers? It was an ebay sale, luckially not directly from China.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On my yongnuo triggers there is also a red light that lights up on the yongnuo receiver if everything is working. If that is lighting up then it is probably a problem with the mount to your flash. Make sure you have it in the right way ! Also, I purchased two yongnuo triggers as part of a kit, one of them was DOA so it doesn't surprise me if they don't work. Yongnuo really is pretty junky stuff, but if you are on a limited budget like me it can be good enough to get you by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many minolta flashes have a proprietary pin/terminal configuration. So they just won't work with many of the flash triggers out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I received a new set from the seller, however, these don't work either! I tried connecting them to two different known good vivitars, and my monolights, and they don't work. I even tried firing them through thier screw-in connector port and tried to see if they provided a voltage across the terminals with a multimeter and got neither continuity or voltage! What am I doing wrong!?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    What am I doing wrong!?
    You're probably just hoping a bargain-basement product will work. There's a reason the PocketWizard and Calumet/Bowens/Elinchrom triggers cost more- they work right the first time. I'd look at the Calumet wireless triggers. They're good quality stuff but still cheaper by a long shot than the PocketWizards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm I have a set of 602's and they fires my SB26 from my Nikon FE2, f90X and F100. I havn't got them to work with my Yashicamat 124g through PC hotshoe adapter. In the near future Ill get a PC to PC caple and try that. Other than that I'm satisfied and glad I didn't paid a premium for a set of triggers.
    Alot of "third party" stuff wont work with minolta speedlites because of their silly hotshoe idea.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've tried firing it from my hassy, F, F6, Yashica, DSLR, and a copal 3 using both the sync cord and the hotshoe part. I thought it was possible that the triggering voltage simply wasn't enough, but I even tried a much smaller flash from my rollei 35 and it still didn't fire. While some degree of build inconsistency is to be expected from a cheap product, I've tried 4 of these and none of them work! that seems a little ridiculous to me...

Perhaps the "for Nikon" set will only fire nikon speedlights?! I broke my SB-600 a while back and still haven't gotten a replacement...
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It does seem odd. If the light at the receiver is flashing then the problem can only be the connection to the flash or the opto thyristor in the receiver - which is unlikely as you have the same problem with four units.

There is no point trying it with different cameras as even the manual test button on the transmitter will check the operation.

You won't be able to measure anything with a multi-meter as the trigger voltage is provided by the flash, not the reciever.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin