Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Mixing flash with ambient light

Is there a trick to mixing ambient lighting either from a room our outdoors to flashbulbs? Or should I just set my shutter speed for my ambient reading and just fire the flash at the correct f-stop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depends on your flash unit.

What are you using?

Does it have an auto mode?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frashbulbs don't have an auto mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Mr. 401... you can do that. If using fast shutter speed (> 1/60 or so) you should check to see if "flash efficiency" adjustments should be made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes and no. As Mark says above it depends on your speedlight. If you have a TTL speedlight then its pretty easy. If you go manual and have a flash that is capable of changing its power output then again yes but its a bit more work on your part.

In the latter what you want to do is meter for ambient then set your flash for a stop higher than ambient if you're doing portraits or between a 1/3rd to a 2/3rds lower if its still life. Its really a case of how much influence and what kind of look you're going for with the flash. If you have a Dslr you can use that to meter the flash output and then use it as a reference for the film, or use a flash meter (which are worth their weight in gold) or run a test roll through the camera with various settings of power for the flash at all the angles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, shutter speeds do make a huge difference with flash bulbs. So does film type if you are mixing light sources. Are you using blue or white bulbs and colour or b&w film.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shutter speed, as long as it is within sync speed, only matters for the ambient exposure because the flash itself is really fast, typically shorter than 1/1000 at full power, much shorter at lower settings.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark... amigo... the original post refers to flash BULBS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Mark... amigo... the original post refers to flash BULBS.
    So, no auto?

Doh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Is there a trick to mixing ambient lighting either from a room our outdoors to flashbulbs? Or should I just set my shutter speed for my ambient reading and just fire the flash at the correct f-stop?
    So after Brian straightened me out.

The trick is your second question. Aperture for flash control, time for ambient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin