Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,393   Online: 1084

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    The truth's the truth, Rafal. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And just wanted to clarify that I don't think pictorial photography is a thing of the past. Many of the large format colour neg guys unashamedly use these classic devices today, just in a different context. Traditionally of course, it's very closely conected to landscape work. It's interesting how much amateur photography is criticised for being pictorial, when the real problem is the way it is applied and what it reveals. One from Nadav Kander - http://www.prixpictet.com/assets/pri...06-690x543.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    This is one of the best threads I've followed for some time. Thanks, David.
    Agree. I'm pretty new here but I've noticed David Lyga often starts interesting threads! This one has been fun to read.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    GULP! You got me there, and fairly, too....Ansel Adams was primarily a realist. - David Lyga
    No problem, I knew what you meant in the first place... I just didn't want you to be completely puzzled by the oddly out of proportion responses...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    And just wanted to clarify that I don't think pictorial photography is a thing of the past. Many of the large format colour neg guys unashamedly use these classic devices today, just in a different context. Traditionally of course, it's very closely conected to landscape work. It's interesting how much amateur photography is criticised for being pictorial, when the real problem is the way it is applied and what it reveals. One from Nadav Kander - http://www.prixpictet.com/assets/pri...06-690x543.jpg
    I wonder, how would Gregory Crewdson's work be classed, imitating, or perhaps following the feel of movie still? Seems like a full circle.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    It encourages a technical discipline, a pure definable craft, rather than the artistic expression of ideas. That manifesto is fine for reportage/news/travel... But it rejects well developed artistic ideas that, for example, HCB employed so successfully and that cinematographers have applied so well for so long. Rules that were well developed before there was photography.
    Well, I just couldn't disagree more, we obviously have different views on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I often worry that my Group f/64 card will be taken away from me because some of my work sometimes exhibits flaws that "literally" detract from the technical quality of the image.

I choose to accept the images because they express my feelings.

I don't think the group meant for there to be no artistic merit. They just didn't want to have to be compared to other kinds of art, held to constraints that photography is free of.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    I wonder, how would Gregory Crewdson's work be classed, imitating, or perhaps following the feel of movie still? Seems like a full circle.
    It was an inevitability, perhaps.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is merely a stance against photography being used to imitate other art forms, and an assertion that the purity of the photographic image is, in itself, the art form of the photographic process, accentuated by the optical qualities of the lens, I believe AA used the term "straight photography" in the writings. Not to be confused with a "straight print" made without any dodging and burning, the phrases are not at all to be used interchageably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coming from a love for etchings and ink drawings in my childhood, as well as heavy chiaroscuro in paintings later on, I like my shadows dark and foreboding. It's all about mood as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, detail in there can enhance the mood sometimes, but for me it's all about those bottomless pools of darkness flowing into glowing highlights.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin