Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 635

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

DIY backdrop advice wanted

OK, I am doing more studio work. I would like to make a couple backdrops. Does anyone have any DIY advice?
    What fabric is best and most economical?
    Should i use fabric dye or paint?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a lot of back drops that are made of canvas or muslin painted with acrylic paint.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

DIY backdrop advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    OK, I am doing more studio work. I would like to make a couple backdrops. Does anyone have any DIY advice?
    My advice is that most of the time the raw material costs more than the pre sewn stuff and it's cheaper to just buy from a store unless you want cloth that reflects light and looks cheesy :-p

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    You can do a whole lot with inexpensive seamless paper in terms of lighting it to create vignettes, etc. For painted backdrops, some of my favorites are el cheapos that I bought off eBay or CraigsList. The thing to remember is with longer lenses, wider apertures and closer focusing distances, you can let the backgrounds drop way out of focus for some beautiful effects. So look for something with a painted vignette. The color is really more important than the "scene."
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin