Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,778   Online: 990

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	64881

Something like this?
    I just found out by taking my cameras out that both the Olympus 35RC (I think the RD is the same) and the Canonet QL17 GIII have the PC connector on its side. So no hot shoe adapter is not necessary.
    Last edited by Chan Tran; 02-27-2013 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Being on the same axis is not by itself a problem. Many studio setups use strobes on the camera axis. There are even shoot through lights likes ring lights or a moon unit.

Size can be a real issue but if all you want to add is a gentle flick of light on a subjects face just to help reduce the shadows a bit it can work just fine right on the hot shoe. There are lots of ways to increase the size too.

A great inexpensive camera for this is a Nikon N90s, up from that an F100 or F5.

A great strobe for these cameras is an SB90dx has the tilt and swivel head too. That's not the only good choice though.

F/2.8 or faster lens will also help, gives you more choices.
    I'm more into the small compact rangefinders
    Or small compact zone focused camera's.

I really want to pack light and compact.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post

Name:	flash.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	64881

Something like this?
    I just found out by taking my cameras out that both the Olympus 35RC (I think the RD is the same) and the Canonet QL17 GIII have the PC connector on its side. So no hot shoe adapter is not necessary.

What is the Metz brick at the side? That seems not compact friendly

Something like that, but what I'd try is the flash in one hand and camera in the other. Atleast that's what I saw and seemed very cool

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaŽl View Post
    I'm more into the small compact rangefinders
    Or small compact zone focused camera's.

I really want to pack light and compact.
    That's a reasonable choices as long as the camera you choose has a hot shoe or pc plug you can use a light like the SB90dx or its cousins in A mode with nice results.

The reason for suggesting the cameras I did was simply that the electronics in the camera can refine flash control even further by adding the camera's TTL metering and fancy electric brain to the equation.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." AnaÔs Nin

Shooter
    35mm

Something like that, but what I'd try is the flash in one hand and camera in the other. Atleast that's what I saw and seemed very cool
    Oh that's the power pack that supply both low and high voltage to the flash head. It's definitely not compact friendly. I was kinda did it for fun. As you said the flash is generally ugly and to make it less ugly it needs to be big

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The flash pictured is a 60 series Metz flash.

Although the battery pack is large and heavy, it allows Metz to move a lot of the heavy stuff out of the flash head, which as a result is large and fairly light - light enough to handle quite easily, while putting out lots of light.

I used to use one while shooting weddings - powerful, fast, flexible and capable of doing an entire wedding on a single charge.

The bounce card pictured will work on the Metz 45 series flashes as well. They are fairly powerful as well, and don't require a separate power pack, but are heavier in the head.
    Matt

ďPhotography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!Ē

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Read strobist.com and go through the Lighting 101 section.

Shooter
    35mm

Name:	MFlash1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	64936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mflash2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	64937
    Okay the big Metz is a bit oversized so I think this outfit would be more compact friendly. I can use it as on hot shoe flash. Remove the sensor attach it to the cable and mount the sensor on the hot shoe and I have a hand held flash unit and still having the sensor on camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To use the XA with off camera flash use an optical slave & PC cord.
    Small auto flash for the remote, PC cord with optical slave plugged in to the sync end(really?) and tape the slave to the flash for the XA.
    Make sure to cover the entire of the flash tube with an opaque tape so you don't have any light leakage. A11 would work fine.
    Want softer light? put a layer of lens tissue or two over the remote flash.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting street with flash is like fishing with hand grenades
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin