Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,659   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were cameras that include flash bulb sockets, intended for single bulb over cubes up to bars. All these cameras have incorparated a trigger devise. With the exception of Magicubes the triggering is by electric charge. These cameras do not have a electric switch controlling the trigger circuit of an electronic flashlight, nor that PC socket. Bridging the gap from electric charge to switching the flashlight is the concern of this tread.

With Magicubes the triggering is done mechanically. And by this, transfered by a simple key-switch, used for triggering an electronic flashlight in those adapters/flashlights you refer to.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a circuit diagram of an opto-coupler based adapter for a Polaroid SX-70 camera.

Keep in mind that the SX-70 camera has a trigger voltage of 4.5 V, the typical AG-bulb trigger circuit would be at 15V. So that circuit would have to be corrected. Those 18Ohms resistors are related to Flashbar control and of no interest here.

http://www.sx2pc.com/

The choice of an opto-coupler enables switching quite high voltages. This approach would also be beneficial for a coupling device to trigger old style electronic flashes by modern cameras with electronic switching.
    (I assume my SX-70 adapter contains a transistor.)
    Last edited by AgX; 03-08-2013 at 06:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't it be easier to add contacts to The shutter? fully open closes the contacts, flash goes off-POOF!
    Not gonna be a bright as an AG-1.
    Want a circuit board from a simple P&S camera? Bare board, you would have to find something to put it in.(no insulation at all.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the shutter already has contacts for flash triggering. In case these are adjusted for x-synchronisation one only would need to lead the wiring outside or install a PC-socket.

But, this would mean a modification to the camera not everybody tolerates, and furthermore loss of working of the bulb socket.

And in case one has several models of this type of camera, the modification of one of those old Flashbar-socket adapters seems even more appropriate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Success! I made a device with two wires wrapped in tape and sandwiched between two pieces of thin plastic. The wires extened below the bottom of the plastic and turned up like the wires on the flash bulbs. I put this end in the flash socket. On the other end the wires extened about three inches out of the plastic sandwich. I touched these wires to the contacts on the flash, turned the flash on and hit the shutter buttonon the camera. The flash flashed. Now I have to make one strong enough for daily use.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

AgX: Those SX-70 flash adaptor are cool.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised that it worked. I assume the battery in the camera was empty and the camera capacitator thus uncharged.
    So the electronic flashligh trigger capacitator send its charge to the camera trigger capacitator yielding enough current to trigger. This should not work when reversing your selfmade contact.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a next step you should test

-) if you can trigger your electronic flashlight repeatedly and not only once

-) if your camera synchronizes correctly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In a next step you should test

-) if you can trigger your electronic flashlight repeatedly and not only once

-) if your camera synchronizes correctly
    Hi again,

For your first suggestion, yes I did fire the electronic flash repeatedly.

For your second suggestion, I haven't tried it to see if the camera synchs with the flash. At the time I had no film. Now I can give it a go.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning the issue of synchronisation for electronic flashlight you won't need film:

Charge and connect your electronic flashlight, open the back, look from behind into the camera Barrel and then press the camera release.
    If you see the flash lighting through the lens, the synchronisation should basically work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin