Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,570   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Electronic replacement for AG1 bulbs?

Does anyone know of an electronic replacement for AG1 and AG1B bulbs? I'm thinking of a flash the has a tab that goes into the flash socket to get the signal from the camera. Kind like a hot shoe. Any thoughts?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) first the camera must trigger in x-configuration, thus without advance

-) second you need an electronic device that transfers the electric impuls (charge) from the camera in switching the flash-light trigger circuit.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked with my own collection: the only bulb-trigger/electr. flashlight adapters I got are based on Magicube sockets, thus mechanically triggered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid had electronic flashes that could plug into the flashbar socket on the SX-70 cameras, but I don't recall anything similar that could plug into the socket for a single AG1.
    Probably the easiest approach would be to use an LED bulb that has the same base as the AG1, such things exist at places like superbrightLEDs.com
    Probably not quite as bright as the AG1, but close, maybe.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops. I forgot about those Polaroid adapters (there were PC-cord adapters aside of the complete proprietory flashlights...) Even got such.

One could try to use a circuit from such an adapter with a DIY AG-plug.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-08-2013 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wording

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The number of contacts will be a challenge, as well as the size of most ag-1, up to M-25 flash holders.
    Flashbulbs hold their light output in the form of wire ready to be oxidized inside the bulb.

A small priming charge, made to ignite from the glow of a filament heated by current from a single pair of contacts.

Electronc flash has it's energy stored in an external capacitor, fed from an oscillator circuit.

he flash tube has two main contacts to discharge the main current though, and a trigger band that is fed from the firing transformer, which kicks a brief high voltage to the trigger band.

The trigger band causes the electric field potential in the area to rise, thus ionizing the gas mixture in the tube, allowing the main flash charge to discharge as a result of the ion electron current.

So for electronic flash you need three contacts to the flash tube.
    my real name, imagine that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, I guess the question was not of constructing a new type of electronic flash, but rather of adapting an existing flash to somehow be triggered from an AG-bulb socket.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    AgX,

You're right. I am thinking that maybe I could mount a small electronic flash on a mount and run a couple of wires to the contacts in the camera's bulb holder. Then the current from the camera would provide the signal for the electronic flash to flash. In other words, the current from the camera would bridge the two contacts on the flash (I'm talking a real simple Sunpak flash). The flash will flash if those two contacts are bridged with a wire. Will the current from the camera do the same thing? Proof of concept will be to jimmy a suitable AG1 socket plug similar to the AG1 bulb base and long enough to reach from the recesed bulb hole and then press the camera shutter with wires contacting the two terminals on the flash. Weekend project!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trying to trigger an electronic flashlight directly with the charge of a camera flash-bulb socket seems no good idea to me.
    With an old type electronic flashlight you would put two (polarized) charge condensators (from camera and flashlight trigger circuits resp.) in series.

With modern type electronic flashlight I'm not absolutely sure of the effect. In any case the flashlight trigger contacts are intended to be bridged and that should be the way to go.

Either use a circuit as described by me above or use a solenoid as switch. The latter way would lead to a small time delay.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-08-2013 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davidw99 View Post
    Does anyone know of an electronic replacement for AG1 and AG1B bulbs? I'm thinking of a flash the has a tab that goes into the flash socket to get the signal from the camera. Kind like a hot shoe. Any thoughts?
    I thought the AG1 bulb is used in a flash holder? and the flash holder has a cable plug in to the pc connector.
    I have an electronic flash unit that replaces the magicube for the Kodak 110 camera model 50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin