Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,601   Online: 834

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

wireless flash sync recommendations

I'm thinking about off-camera flash. Problem is all my flashes are elderly - Olympus T30, Vivitar 283 (with big voltage), and a couple of others. Does anyone have any recommendations for a (cheap) wireless system that will stand the big shoe voltages as I don't want to spend out on new flash units? Alternatively I could make a little adapter that slotted between receiver and flash to tame the trigger voltage if someone can give me some guidance on the components.

or I could just buy one ofthese cheap units and see if it blows up!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Set-16-C...item3a7c20ebc2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cheap one says "12v or lower" and I'd stick to it. Cheap gear doens't have much margin in capabilities.

Get with the times and get a used Nikon sb24; lotsa manual capability for not much $.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

wireless flash sync recommendations

Pocket wizard makes a super cheap trigger now for only $100 it's the replacement for the $160 plus 2 basically, it's pretty neat, personally for the extra $30 I would just get the Plus III but that's me

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cactus radio triggers, off of the bay from china. Gadget Infinity was the vendor, as I recall.

V2 or V4s' are the bunch I have. Not fancy, works reliably for me, and I believe that are rated to 300V. I use them on all sundry old flashes I have except for my ancient pack and head GN 200 in feet ' Braun that goes to 585v trigger voltage on full power. I save a wein optical trigger for that baby; it has killed lesser vendors' optical offerings after a few days use.

I think one tx and a pair of rx's of the Cactus are about $70. I have three sets of them now, and all still working after more than 4 years. Keep spare batteries in the box or bag, and remember to turn off the rx;s when stored and you will stay happy.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the Pocket Wizards are out of your range, check out the wireless triggers and receivers from Cowboy Studios. I bought a trigger and two receivers for about $25 US off Amazon. You can get extra receivers for around $15 each. I'm sure they're not as well made but they've held up well so far. Just as importantly they've been reliable performers. No TTL with these babies, but that's no a biggie for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I'll look at the recommendations

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use Wein hot shoe optical slaves for stand mounted flashes. I can trigger them either thru on camera flash or thru a Wein infrared setup that pop's one flash. For on camera high synch voltage flash with a low synch body, Wein use to make a special hot shoe adapter just like the optical units that takes care of it. I don't find it at B&H tho.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wein dropped it. The safe sync I guess was either no longer sourced, or cost them too much hassle.

I returned one that died after one week of use, and they sent me two optical triggers and said sorry, can't replace your item - no longer made.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The trigger thyristor in my cheap Cactus wireless receivers are rated at 400 volts. It's difficult to find such a component rated lower than 250 volts.

Seems strange that the usual answer to using (alledged) wimpy DSLRs with old flashes is to use a radio trigger whereas now the worry is that the trigger might be damaged!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or build this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-Flash.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	67414

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin