Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,825   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ac12, thanks for the comment. You certainly seem to share my views. I did try a DIY modifier at the runway show I mentioned (the one made of drawer lining plastic). Apart from massive light loss, the images came out exactly the same as ones using no modifier at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had good luck with the homebrew modifier I made to fit my Metz 45CT-4. I bought one of those Rubbermaid disposable food storage containers with the screw-on lid, and cut a hole in the lid big enough for the flash head. Then I took some coarse sandpaper and roughed up the interior. It costs me about 2 stops when used in bounce mode. The Gary Fong I have that fits my smaller flash units was $60. This? About $1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carry extra batteries or power source. You can try to get extra Sunpak 555's battery holders (though I don't think they are easy to find) and just swap the battery holders. Or you can get 555's dedicated power pack.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Without a light modifier, two sets of batteries got me through the entire runway show. I am on the lookout for more battery holders, but havent seen them, at least fairly priced, for ages.

There are indeed some good homebrew modifiers. My drawer lining plastic one is excellent, but only in a normal sized room. All they really do is increase the flash area somewhat, plus bounce some of the light, while sill maintaining a forward component to the light. It's great if the bounce component can actually be used, but not in a large convention hall with a high ceiling. I've since obtained the remote sensor for the 555, so will use a conventional cloth diffuser next time that still sends all light forward, to get the slight benefit of a softer, larger light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I was aware of this, but didn't realize that the module stays with the camera. I'll keep a lookout for a Nikon module. Thanks for the info.
    I should have mentioned-the module comes with a metal piece with a cold shoe on it. It's for mounting the module onto the part of the 555's bracket that is fastened to the camera, if you don't have a shoe elsewhere. It comes with a thumbscrew to tighten it. It fits in the slot on top of the camera bracket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp 6-13-13 048.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	70380
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you walk around with an Wescott Apollo XS or something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin