Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,511   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon AS-14 on Pentax K2

I'm trying to get a bit more flexibility in my kit, and today my concern is cross-branding a macro setup.

I have a Nikon SB-21 ringflash with its AS-14 adapter for standard hotshoe usage. This works fine on my F-65, but the ringflash was originally issued with an AS-12 adapter for the weird F3 flash shoe. On the F3, since I don't have an AS-12, I use the AS-14 on an AS-7 adapter, and it feels like a Rube Goldberg design but works fine.

I also have a Pentax K2, which is as close to the Nikon F3 that Pentax ever came, and is a really superb machine. It has true TTL off the film plane, which I would like to put to use with the SB-21.

I realize that I can simply try it out and see, which I am doing, but I'm curious whether the combination can be worrisome for the electronic components of either unit, due to proprietary design incompatibilities.

Does anybody know?

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by barzune View Post
    I'm trying to get a bit more flexibility in my kit, and today my concern is cross-branding a macro setup.

I have a Nikon SB-21 ringflash with its AS-14 adapter for standard hotshoe usage. This works fine on my F-65, but the ringflash was originally issued with an AS-12 adapter for the weird F3 flash shoe. On the F3, since I don't have an AS-12, I use the AS-14 on an AS-7 adapter, and it feels like a Rube Goldberg design but works fine.

I also have a Pentax K2, which is as close to the Nikon F3 that Pentax ever came, and is a really superb machine. It has true TTL off the film plane, which I would like to put to use with the SB-21.

I realize that I can simply try it out and see, which I am doing, but I'm curious whether the combination can be worrisome for the electronic components of either unit, due to proprietary design incompatibilities.

Does anybody know?

Dan
    I am quite sure it would work but only in manual mode. No TTL of course because it's a Nikon and not a Pentax. The K2 has TTL meter for ambient light but not for flash. I would certainly think the LX is closer to the F3 than the K2. The K2 doesn't have motor drive (even if you have the K2KMD it's only 2fps), No interchangable viewfinder, no interchangable focusing screen, no 1/2000 shutter speed, no titanium shutter curtain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The K2 has TTL meter for ambient light but not for flash.
    Chan, thank you for pointing that out; I had thought it did.
    I guess my best choice, to get the best out of the SB-21, is to use it on the Nikon cameras, although I can still use it on the Pentax, on manual exposure.

Regards,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pentax K2 was certainly a superb camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin