Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,279   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Bewi Super L Meter

I'm thinking of buying a Bewi Super L light meter but before i need to know if it gives exposure values of more than 30 minutes.
    I've tried to look for this information but nothing so far, hope anyone here can help me.
    thank you

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The scale of the Bewi Super goes up to one hour, but this alone does not say anything about its sensitivity.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meter...uper(1965).jpg

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hm...
    I'm going to photograph with ektar 100, inside a camera obscura

Shooter
    35mm
    In general, a lightmeter will not give you directly exposure times in 10's of minutes. Neither will it have provisions for the f-numbers of a pinhole camera (camer obscura). But that is the easy part: say, meter indicates 1/125 f/16.
    "Equivalent" (read below) exposures: 1/2sec f/128, 1sec f/180, 2sec f/256, etc... but only a starting point.

The hard part is reciprocity law failure. And the meter won't help, even if it has markings up to 30min and f/256.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the link you sent is for the Bewi Super, the one i am talking about is the Bewi Super L...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yes, the reciprocity failure is yet another thing i'm trying to solve. can't find experiments on more than 5 minutes exposures

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard_L View Post
    In general, a lightmeter will not give you directly exposure times in 10's of minutes. Neither will it have provisions for the f-numbers of a pinhole camera (camer obscura). But that is the easy part: say, meter indicates 1/125 f/16.
    "Equivalent" (read below) exposures: 1/2sec f/128, 1sec f/180, 2sec f/256, etc... but only a starting point.

The hard part is reciprocity law failure. And the meter won't help, even if it has markings up to 30min and f/256.

I'm am shooting with a Sinar, inside a camera obscura (my room) so the f-numbers are not the pinhole. I just needed to know if the Bewi Super L would work in such a weak light...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) to my knowledge (Internet...) the Super and the Super L have the same metering circuit

-) I don't know the sensitivity of that meter. Someone could check against one of those most sensitive meters. But that won't help you as you don't know yet the luminance in question...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    -) to my knowledge (Internet...) the Super and the Super L have the same metering circuit

-) I don't know the sensitivity of that meter. Someone could check against one of those most sensitive meters. But that won't help you as you don't know yet the luminance in question...

i'm not really pro in this photographic concepts: what do you mean with luminance?
    I've already made some photographs in the dark room but with digital, i know to relation between the sensitity of the digital to the analog is not very diferent (except in the reciprocity failure thing), i am now simullating with the digital what may happen with the sinar...but it still isnt very accurated

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luminance = "Brightness" of your subject (in this case the reflection from your chamber wall.

For proper working of that meter you need a mercury battery. Have you got one??
    (Or a well made electronic substitute?)

I just checked my sample:
    the needle starts to move about 1/2 stop outside the range of that red digit one has to operate (which I intreprete of sign of good working condition).
    And that most extreme position is equivalent to

1h @ f32 @ 100ASA

The sensitivity of that meter would thus be EV +2 .
    Last edited by AgX; 05-23-2013 at 07:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin