Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,281   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Flash bulbs - duration?

Anyone ever test the actual duration of old school flash bulbs and cubes?

There are times I could use a very slow duration (to fill an entire frame of video or movie film, for instance, at 24 fps... a modern strobe just leaves a white band depending on the scanning rate of the sensor).

Yeah, I know, this is "A"Pug - but I doubt anyone knows this on the digital side!

Shooter
    35mm
    The duration of light from a flashbulb/cube will be significantly longer than electronic flash. IIRC, there were even "long peak" flashbulbs at one time, for use with focal plane shutters which otherwise could give a similar problem to what you're getting.
    I don't have detailed info to hand at this moment, but I'm sure a few minutes with Google will track down exactly what you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The flashbulb manufacturers published booklets with that information including plots and graphs of their products. I cannot find my copies at this time.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some of the technical information you're looking for, including a few time graphs, can be found at Cress Photo's website (no affiliation).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian C sent me a link to a pretty massive database - I had searched but never found something so complete. I see some models with close to a second duration, just at a glance.

I'm guessing these could be a good lightning-through-the-window effect when there's no budget for the hollywood-style generators (for video or film motion shoots). You can do that in post, but nothing looks as real as reality. Now I can at least cross reference what's available for sale. Wondering if slightly lowering the trigger voltage might prolong the burst as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    Ian C sent me a link to a pretty massive database - I had searched but never found something so complete.
    Would you mind sharing that with others, like me, who are also interested?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bulb data and time/intensity graphs

http://www.flashbulbs.com/Philips.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Ian!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    Bulb data and time/intensity graphs

http://www.flashbulbs.com/Philips.htm
    It you have something like that, that kind of thing is what I was referring to. Do you have anything like that?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    Wondering if slightly lowering the trigger voltage might prolong the burst as well.
    Trigger voltage is not related to to flash duration. No incandescant flash from a light with electrical contacts is triggerd by that electrical impulse anyway, but by an explosive that is triggered by electrical heating. That heating though has a retardent effect on triggering.

Keep in mind that there are different times to talk about.

With the development of types the trigger voltages and all times involved had been reduced with those common consumer models of bulbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin