Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,967   Online: 967

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great go out there and shot film. The more photographs you take, the more you will learn.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dome up for all readings as you start out.

A number of situations may cause problems or doubt e.g. mixed outdoor light, dark vs light areas, changing light... . Ideally a spot meter is best here (this will not be in your immediate repertoire, but if you stick to the game, it certainly will be in the future), or a meter with memory function (IIRC the L308S does not have a memory function). Just step back and examine the scene, and if you wish, grab the bull by the horns and meter however you see fit. Again, keep notes of what you are doing and refer back to these at the lightbox. As they say, "it will all come out in the wash!".
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see now that I really only have two choices and the idea of using the dome for a reflected reading or dome off for an incident reading just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!
    No, if you are making a statement, you're correct, this doesn't make sense.
    Just to be sure we're on the same page...you use the dome at the subject, for incident readings.
    You remove the dome when you are standing some distance away from the subject...for reflected readings.

Also, a great trick for eliminating/reducing bright sky-light from skewing your reflected readings;
    hold your hand, hat or clipboard, a little above and slightly forward of the light meter.
    Think of...wearing a brimmed hat to shade your eyes from the sun. Same principle!

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to make it easy, for a subject you can walk up to, use the dome and measure incident. Just make sure you are not creating your own shadow....

To me, reflective mode with these are not that useful. Reflective mode measures light reflecting from your subject and hitting your meter. But.... without an ability to POINT to a certain spot of your subject, you have no idea what part of your subject you are measuring. Say you have a person with blond hair and white skin wearing dark gray suit. To make it more interesting, standing in front of a highly reflective pond. What now.... Yes, it can sort of measure average but how do you know the view of field of your meter is same as your lens?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I do not agree with Tom.

Do not use the dome for a reflective reading, even though there are some at APUG that believe that is the thing to do. I have thoroughly researched that subject on the internet, at Kodak and at many photographic libraries. There are no articles or books that discuss that method. Period. When I talked to optical engineers, their response is that they would like to know what drugs the people who make such recommendations are on. Again, there is no accepted photographic journals nor any photographic books that discuss such blither. Take the blither of using the dome for reflective reading and flush it down the toilet.
    I did see someone on APUG said that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, awesome responses and super helpful. I am new to this community (and really shooting film) but I already love it here. Very friendly and eager to help folks. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    Wow, awesome responses and super helpful. I am new to this community (and really shooting film) but I already love it here. Very friendly and eager to help folks. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Oh, you'll be right, mate. Mind you, there are a couple of bizarre posts here. For now, just go out and experiment and have fun and don't be too concerned with the pseudo-scientific and authoritarian views espoused on metering.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geez, as a user of the pseudo scientific method of incident and pretty much non-authoritarian, I have to include myself amongst those who have NEVER heard anyone using a domed/Inverconed meter for reflected readings. Wonder what the Weston manual says about that?
    Check out reply #11 it's totally correct

Anyway, Incident metering either at the subject or IN THE SAME LIGHT as the subject gives the same exposure. To meter the far side of the Grand Canyon, Hold the meter with the dome facing the lens, no need to fly across it.

Reflected CAN be influenced by the reflectivity of your subject. IE:a dark subject will overexpose because the meter sees(interprets)
    the reading as a middle gray and want you to open the lens or use a slower shutter speed.
    Conversely a bright/light subject will under expose because the meter wants you to use a faster speed or smaller aperture.

Obviously try either method and look at your results, then make your choice.
    Rather than starting out using several methods of metering, use the two simplest around, incident and reflected.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Geez, as a user of the pseudo scientific method of incident and pretty much non-authoritarian, I have to include myself amongst those who have NEVER heard anyone using a domed/Inverconed meter for reflected readings. Wonder what the Weston manual says about that?
    Check out reply #11 it's totally correct
    If using the dome or ivercon for relfected readings, then every lightmeter manufacturer would advise it. But, gee, they never say a word about it. Maybe things work differently in Australia, after all the toilets do flush backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Reflected CAN be influenced by the reflectivity of your subject. IE:a dark subject will overexpose because the meter sees(interprets)
    the reading as a middle gray and want you to open the lens or use a slower shutter speed.
    Conversely a bright/light subject will under expose because the meter wants you to use a faster speed or smaller aperture.
    That is why I recommended using an incident meter for those situations.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 06-01-2013 at 11:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    This has been super helpful, fellas. I see now that I really only have two choices and the idea of using the dome for a reflected reading or dome off for an incident reading just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! I am not sure why I even thought they were valid choices. I feel much more confident now when I go out and shoot. I will try both and see which result in better lit photos. And of course I'll stick to reflected if I can't get near the subject.

Are there any special situation or caveats I should be aware of, besides the ones mentioned already (ie don't point a reading too much toward the sky)
    You can learn the Zone System tones and typical subject matter, and when the scene is nearby you can explore by walking close to things and taking close-up reflected readings, and "place" the readings on their usual Zones.

The first thing you can try is... meter the palm of your hand in the light with reflected light. "Place" it on Zone VI. (Open up one stop to give more exposure than meter reads). Logically, you know your hand is bright and if you were to use a bright reading as-is, you would underexpose the shot. So you open one stop when you meter your hand. Now switch to incident mode and take your reading normally pointing at the camera.

If you did it right, the readings should agree - and this should boost your confidence.

I've recently been using a Master II meter with Zone Sticker, and have been enjoying this technique of reflected light reading - without necessarily requiring a spotmeter. The digital interface of your meter isn't as easily adapted to Zone System stickers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin