Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,566   Online: 939

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    When how do I know which to use and when? Some situations are helpful such as taking a picture from a subject too far to walk to (like a mountain). In that case, I am forced to use reflected mode (pointing toward subject, eye exposed). What would happen, though, if I was pointing the meter at the subject but had the eye covered by the lumisphere?

If the mountain is being illuminated by the sun and you are being illuminated by the sun just orient yourself in a line that is parallel to the line from your camera to the Mountain and turn your back to the mountain and take a reading.

I will often have some idea of how I will be oriented to take a shot and just orient myself that way and then turn around and take an incident meter reading and then hike off to where I'm going to take the shot. If you are shooting in the middle of the day and the light isn't changing much because of moving clouds or the sun rising and setting you can take a reading and then hike for fifteen minutes and then take your shot. That solves the shadow/distant subject issue a lot of the time.

You have to understand what exactly it is you are metering. There is nothing magical about being close to the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at the Sekonic manual for this over here:
    http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-308s_english.pdf
    The quick start manual for the 308 S over here:
    http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-3...ck_english.pdf

And for an excellent uncomplicated education on how to use a light meter, check this out:
    "The Hand Exposure Meter Book" by Martin Silverman, Jim Zuckerman and Bob Shell Published by the Photo Books Division of Mamiya America Corp. First Edition 1999. You can find it over here, among other places.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20Meter%20Book The same basic info applies today as it did in 1999. Only the meters have changed (to protect the manufacturers. ;>)
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do what Mark suggests and READ the frickin' manual. Makes things much easier all the way around.

Shooter
    35mm
    While on the subject of meters. I have a Luna-Pro F, and I just inserted a new Lithium 9V battery. The battery test button sends the needle off the scale, like it is getting way too much voltage. Should I not use lithium and go beck to regular alkaline cells like a Duracell or Energizer, or is there an internal regulator in the Luna-Pro which will still give me accurate readings with a strong battery. I prefer to use the long lasting lithium cell if it doesn't throw off the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

My Gossen Luna Lux uses a regular alkaline 9V battery.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Stager View Post
    While on the subject of meters. I have a Luna-Pro F, and I just inserted a new Lithium 9V battery. The battery test button sends the needle off the scale, like it is getting way too much voltage. Should I not use lithium and go beck to regular alkaline cells like a Duracell or Energizer, or is there an internal regulator in the Luna-Pro which will still give me accurate readings with a strong battery. I prefer to use the long lasting lithium cell if it doesn't throw off the meter.
    Welcome to APUG!

When compared with alkaline cells, lithium batteries respond quite differently to loads.

Your Luna-Pro F pre-dated lithium cells by a considerable length of time. It wasn't designed with them in mind.

My experience with the non-F version of the meter leads me to the belief that the regular alkaline batteries last a long time anyways.

I wouldn't use one unless I had something from Gossen that indicated it was okay.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Stager View Post
    It might just need calibration. BUT to be sure, call these guys at Camera Repair Instrument Service (CRIS). They'll tell you what recommended power supply to use in it and they're also the authorized service center for Gossen. CRIS can be reached at:
    Manfrotto Service @ C.R.I.S.
    250 North 54th St
    Chandler, AZ 85226

P: 480-940-1103
    E: manfrottoservice@criscam.com

Take it light ;>)
    Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    manuals are good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    manuals are good
    They are even better when one actually reads them, so I am told.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some humor injection. I first saw the title and thought...Well the mental cartoon was both hands already full of camera, extra lens, roll of film, etc. So the only place to hold the light meter would be perhaps to bite gently... Seriously, good daylight and a 11% gray card and you should get f=16 at 1/60th. A very handy quick check on any meter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin