Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,459   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Medium Format

Need some advice on which lights will be best for my situation

Hello all.

Been reading a LOT lately about continuous lighting. I've dabbled in off-camera flash using some cheap speed lights and I'm fairly comfortable using them. I'm now looking to re-create some hard light style portraits from 1930's, 40's etc and like the look of fresnel lights for achieving this. However I'm not clear on what size fresnel lights I would need to achieve decent exposure without cooking my model to a crisp. Would a 650 watt Arri fresnel be enough for key light, and 300 watt be enough fill / hair light ? Or do I need more grunt ?

I'm planning on shooting in a basic home studio in my double garage. I'll be using a 6x6 SLR camera and shooting wide open f4, 150mm focal length with 100 speed film.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mortensen, in Pictorial Lighting, used 2 500W lights; metal reflectors rather than fresnels. I've done less light (using CFLs for the equiv of 200W) and 400 speed film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks.

Do you know what the closest thing to a fresnel light would be in the CFL world ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally, I believe the three most distinct parts of the fresnel look are the size of the source, the intensity, and control of direction.

A setup something akin to this http://www.paulcbuff.com/b800.php with http://www.paulcbuff.com/grids.php can do a decent job of mimicing the most important characteristics of a fresnel without any heat issues for the model.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is your garage air conditioned? Located in Alaska or Arizona? So many variables. You can try to get your lighting and exposure settings arranged before your subject arrives and keep the time under hot lights to a minimum.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of Mole Richardson lights. I have 4 Mini Moles which are 200 watts each. Arris are nice too but way to expensive for me. Here are some pics made with my Moles.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=37430

I use them for portraits and still life.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply's everyone. I ran a little experiment by purchasing a cheap 250w work light from local hardware store and taking some readings against it. It did seem a bit weak so I've taken the plunge on a 650 watt fresnel. I think it should suit my needs just fine. I'll post back with some results once it arrives.

Regards,
    Jonno

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno888 View Post
    Thanks.

Do you know what the closest thing to a fresnel light would be in the CFL world ?
    A Fresnel is just a kind of flat lightweight lens, used to focus a point-source into a pencil-beam. You can use one just as happily with a CFL as a HID lamp, though the larger source size means that the (light not camera) focus won't be quite so narrow.

Images
    If you are anywhere near an old school you might go see if they have any dead overhead projectors. These come with pretty good fresnel lenses. There is a good chance they will just hand them to you.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or old theatre spotlights... Some use fresnels, some use condensers; all hugely powerful.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin