Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,430   Online: 1133

Shooter
    Large Format

"Medium Studio Reflector" when using flashbulbs, what?

I'm slowly migrating away from my Profoto strobes and am starting to shoot more work using flashbulbs. I bought 5 cases of bulbs that need, or recommend to be used in a "medium studio reflector" I assume these are not the standard 5" and 7" reflectors that are normally found.

Does anybody have a photo of one, or know if there is a modern equivalent?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done an impromtu light modifer once using my speedotron blackline 7" specilar reflector, with the flash bulb in a folding fan flash bulb holder that did not have th fan unfurled.

Down side was the challenge of mounting it. I gaff taped the reflector it to a boom arm to manouver the thing, and laos taped a cold shoe off camera flash bracket to support the folding fan flash holder.

The shot looked pretty good.. Kind of half way between profoto/speedo flash with bare bulb and with specular reflector.

Used a hand held folding fabric diffuse silver panel held by an assistant to provide the fill lighting, just out of image range.

Shot was for a portrait in an old flour mill that had no power, and I had no urge to haul a generator for the freebe shoot.

Lugging the boom stand was pain enough. The room needed the power that flash bulbs, a sitter that stayed still and a 1/30" shutter speed to fill the room with just the right amount for the passive the background lighting.

The room was big enough my 4-aa on camera, or even the Metz CT60 was not quite up to the task. One M3 bulb sure was though.

Used flash bulb
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that there are any formal definitions, but I think it would be reasonable to call a 10 to 11 inch diameter satin-finish reflector a medium-size studio reflector.

The sort of reflector you'd use on a flashgun generally has a polished interior - without this, you wouldn't be able to focus the light for use at longer distances. In a studio, you're generally working at fairly close distances, so this is not too important. A satin finish gives a little softer light source. You can probably get one for your Profoto gear and modify it, if you think it's worth it.

I grew up with flashbulbs, even used two flashguns on rare occasions. But I wouldn't go back to 'em without good reason. (I guess that showing people it can be done would be good reason, but a couple of 12-packs would be enough for me.) Good luck in your endeavors.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin