Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,992   Online: 818

Shooter
    35mm

Metering- reflectivity vs tone? (i.e. black objects in shadow)

So question about metering
    I know meters are tuned for midtones and thus, something darker than midtone will reflect less light and lead to overexposure and vice versa and you thus compensate accordingly

I also know that according to Zone system techniques, that you can place highlights in approx +2 for slide (meter highlights and open 2 stops) and the darkest part you want details in (shadows) in -2 (meter shadows and close down 2)

But what happens if that highlight is dark toned (if that makes sense? i.e. black detail being rim or edge lit)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use an incident meter and it won't matter what tone your subject is; (just measure the light rather than reflectivity)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    GarageBoy you have identified the biggest challenge with reflective metering.

Black is dark whether in full sun or shade so if you meter from a black subject then you would open up the camera. Meter from white close the camera some.

The more challenging question is how much, not all blacks, or whites, are created equal and 2 is not always the answer.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    GarageBoy you have identified the biggest challenge with reflective metering.

Black is dark whether in full sun or shade so if you meter from a black subject then you would open up the camera. Meter from white close the camera some.

The more challenging question is how much, not all blacks, or whites, are created equal and 2 is not always the answer.
    If you compare by metering the black subject with an 18% Grey Card in the same light it gives you a pretty good idea how much to compensate.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you compare by metering the black subject with an 18% Grey Card in the same light it gives you a pretty good idea how much to compensate.
    Sure, but if you have and are using a reference point in the scene to correct/check your exposure offset, a grey card or whatever, then the offset to shadow or highlight becomes irrelevant.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    GarageBoy and others who may not be familiar with it,
    A frequent APUG forum contributor Ralph Lambrecht has coauthored a book "Way Beyond Monochrome" that is a comprehensive reference on black and white photography and well worth adding to your library. Among all the detailed information, you can find how to build a zone dial.(pages 468-469)

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You take your reflected light reading from the area you are interested in, and then adjust the exposure to give you the tone you are looking for.

The challenge may be actually limiting the area read to what you want to evaluate.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spot meters are reflective meters, but their narrow angle of view (typically 1° to 5°) means they are excellent for isolating specific areas — as Matt King said in his second sentence, "actually limiting the area read to what you want to evaluate", or put another way, analysing all principal luminances, in the first instance not assuming the scene presented before you or the meter is "average".
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, I think I just need to get a spot meter and experiment
    The 40deg reflective attachment on the Flash Meter IV is not selective enough and I think it simply averages

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin