Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,214   Online: 1183

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    It was always my belief that the getter was simply a chemical impregnated ring that was heated from the outside of the tube after gas has been vacuumed; for the purpose of "burning off" of the remaining gas.
    The getter continues to work for the life of the tube as components continue to outgas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you GCK. After all these years of working on electronic gadgets, I learned a new thing. I thought the getter had done its job at the factory and that was the end of it. Heck, I can recite the entire RCA and Sylvania Receiving Tube Manuals, just about--and that's a new one on me. Thx.

BTW-- I have the full 4 volume set of Tung-Sol Tube encyclopedias and a complete set of Riders, and most all the Sams from 1946-1970. Someday I'm going to have to get rid of this stuff. Just too much junk.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 09-03-2013 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow I came back to this for some reason...(wondered what I chimed in on).
    ... my knowledge of electronics is pretty basic... this thread was a fun read for someone who dabbles with 555chips and LED's.

Thanks... and thanks for the civility and knowledge displayed.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I have dozens of those old neon bulbs in my collection and never experienced that.
    By the way, with flickering I meant totally switching off and on again.
    Meanwhile I got a second neon bulb that shows that flickering. At the same model of camera...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin