Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 754

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vsyrek1945 View Post
    ​Some time in the distant past, when I was still buying new gear, I read the owner's manual for a Vivitar unit [could have been a 283 or 285] that had a section devoted to reforming the unit's main capacitor after a long idle period. As I remember, the procedure was to load fresh batteries, switch the unit to manual and full power, power on, let the unit light its Ready lamp for thirty seconds before pushing the Test button, and repeat for a total of five cycles. The first charge cycle could take long enough for you to get real antsy, holding the unit close to your ear to be sure the voltage multiplier oscillator circuit was working, but by the fifth time around, the unit would be recycling in a much more reasonable time.

I just took delivery today of an 'AS-IS' Sunpak 611 that was marked 'won't power up' and ran through the procedure after running an emery board across the battery cover contacts. The unit needed a few more than five flash cycles before lighting up its 'FULL' indicator lamp, but it looks like it will be OK for use.

Best regards,
    Vince
    That 611 is a great flash. I've had mine since '76.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    Typical Flash 250 uF 330 V Nom initial discharge power = V^2/R = 330 *330/100000 = 1.1 Watt
    1 Watt might be OK for tube Hi Fi etc where the voltage is lower.
    1 watt is enough because it's 100K rather than 10K in your first example. The voltages are similar.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm

[Some] Old Flash Units Never Die . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    That 611 is a great flash. I've had mine since '76.
    I didn't know the 611 went back that far - I thought it was mid-80s vintage. Mine came without the clamp and bracket, so it'll be a while until I get to shoot with it.

I find it interesting that a lot of thyrister-based units from that era are still going strong after 35 or more years: in addition to the OEM lines, units from Achiever, Starblitz, Sunpak, Vivitar, Metz, and other brands [as well as some off-brands] that have slipped my mind are proving to be virtually bullet-proof as long as they've been used periodically and stored without deteriorating batteries fouling up their contacts.

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Strobist article can be found here:

http://strobist.blogspot.dk/2013/06/...lash-from.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin