Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The true masters of lighting were the studio photographers during the 30's and 40's. They produced the iconic photos of the stars during this time. There are samples of their technique scattered around the web. Search on the big name stars of this era for samples and photographers names. Photographers like Charles Hurrell and Clarence Sinclair Bull. There are some great books available too like "The Art of the Great Hollywood Phorographers."
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-15-2013 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can recommend Hollywood Portraits by Roger Hicks and Christopher Nisperos (the discussed picture include a lighting diagram) another recommendation would be the reprint of Bernard of Hollywood Pin-Ups: Guide to Pin-Up Photography. I already mentioned William Mortensen's pictorial lighting but would add The command to look and The model (the later just of academic interest). Gerald is right the oldies from 1930 to 40's were the kings of artificial lighting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look for NYSOP ( new york school of photography ) coursebooks from the 20s-40s,
    they have EVERYTHING you will need to make photographs from the golden era.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can also highly recommend Speedotron. I ue their brown-line series for 20 years now. it's very poerful but robust and reliable. once the set had a 2-year break, which can be fatal for electronic condensersbut started right up and worked as well as on the first day. I wish I could reduce the power further and set it in smaller increments, but ,other than that, just perfect and affordable!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Two good books on lighting:
    Neil Van Niekerk "Direction and Quality of Light: better portrait photography anywhere"
    Christopher Grey "Master Lighting Guide for portrait photographers"
    A very helpful video by Kirk Tuck at Craftsy is Studio Portrait Lighting
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This all-new DVD based on Dean Collin's original 3-Dimensional Contrast.

If you are thinking B&W and want to experiment inexpensively but broadly and beautifully then get some shop lights of different shape and wattage, some with removable reflectors, along with some 24" wide Cinefoil / Blackwrap and a few yards of Tulle Fabric and some White Ripstop Nylon, make some V-Cards out of pre-cut Foam Core 28x40 sheets for easy folding, get some inexpensive stands as well as some manfrotto light stands with 3/8" screw top, a bag of Wooden Clothes Pins, some 2" Gaffer Tape and Spring Clamps, hand held mirrors and a few Heavy Duty Flex Arms and you will be able to do A LOT of really beautiful and fun stuff while learning to see the light you construct and have fun doing it.

After you get a handle on what is happening and what the light is doing and why then you can apply that to all manner of expensive strobes and hot lights and modifiers, or simple window light, combinations of all three and others.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 12-17-2013 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope the Op's set up his new home-studio by now!
    This thread has some useful info on the books and lights :-)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    get a good insurance this time.I'm talking Smith&Wessonhere! I hate bastards like that. my sister's was broken into twice and she doesn't feel safe in her own house anymore. that's the hardest part. some folks never recover from the experience. I hope you do. all the best.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you are doing studio work, you might check out the photographer Jack Mitchell. He recently passed away; but for 35 years he photographed many artists including dancers, and primarily in B&W. There is a DVD/video about him that's available thru his website.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin