Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,457   Online: 929

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bowens remote control protocol

I have a pair of Bowens monolights, the 500DX and 1000DX digital things that support IR remotes. The problem is that people seem to want $400+ for a remote.

Does anyone know the IR protocol they use?

Or have a compatible remote they'd part with on reasonable terms?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somehow I expect they are more complex then the Wein IR remote that I bought in a job lot of used flash accessories.

I was somewhat bemused to discover that our TV remote set off the Wein IR remote.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hehe; the Wein cells are just a trigger as far as I know. Any sharp edge in light received (e.g. a flash triggered nearby, or the square-waves produced by a TV remote's LED) closes a triac and triggers the flash.

I expect Bowens uses a similar approach to the TV remotes with a bitstream AM-modulated onto a 40kHz carrier for ambient-light rejection, if only because those IR transmitter and receiver modules are cheap and ubiquitous. If I had a remote I could discover the protocol but of course I don't...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Wein unit is actually part of a pair - an IR transmitter that fits on the camera hot shoe and the corresponding receiver/trigger.

And they both appear really, really old.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Multiblitz Musen should be able to trigger the Bowens Unit and is under 100$ for under 50$ Fotodiox Universal IR Infrared Remote Flash Trigger for Optical Slave Flash. Good luck. BTW the Bowens Gemini IR Remote Control (under 100$) and the Bowens Pulsar TX RX Kit are way less than 400$ more like 250$. The Pulsar system is Radio and not IR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got some Pulsar's they work really well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not looking for triggers, guys. I'm looking for the remote that allows you to control the flash, i.e. change the power level and other settings. Something like an RC-3.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bowens Gemini IR Remote Control (http://www.bowensdirect.com/gemini-remote-control.html) that I've mentioned in my previous post is such a thing and it should be able to work with your Mono Units and that for a measly 55 pounds the RC3 is a more capable unit though and can be found for around 150 pounds.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is the Gemini remote really compatible? I thought it was only for the Gemini lights and I have Esprit Digital models. They're about $120 in Australia, which is kind of OK but still offensively expensive for what would be a $5 remote on any other device.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin