Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,964   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Use 9V power adapter with with Metz 45 CL-4?

Do anyone believe or know if it is possible to use a 220V-9V power adapter with the Metz 45 CL-4, to use in a studio situation?

I have the 45-39 battery pack and can quite easily solder an external 9V battery connector to the correct connectors.

But I don't want to fry the flashgun using something with too much power, and as we all know Metz warns against using rechargeables in the battery pack.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's designed to run on 9v power I can't see what the problem would be, I created some hack job sealed lead acid adapters for my speedlites with the main benefit of decreased flash recycle times...

If you match the max current output from your adapter to the metz battery pack I can't see what harm it could possibly do.

Shooter
    35mm
    How do I figure out the max current output from the metz battery pac?

....That was a stupid question, I know how to measure the max current output: I connect a mA-meter in series with the battery pac.

Do anyone know how to dismantle the 45-40 battery pac without destroying it?
    Last edited by alti; 10-17-2013 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum57/1...er-supply.html

I use RC battery pack 7.2v, works like a charm. Recycle time at full-manul is around 6seconds...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reading the linked thread there's no need people are reporting 10AH batteries being just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most every day 9V wall wart type power packs will have a hard time.

The best success I had was for a 4-aa type flash - Vivitar 283 I think it was. Fed it in the studio setting from ao old desktop PC power supplyfrom the early days of PC, when power supplies still turned on with a physical switch. Made a block of wood and screw nails to match the relevant normal aa contact areas. Fed it with 2 conductor lamp cord.

The PC supply on the 5V rail I used to power this set up was rated to deliver 20A. For a few seconds after the flash dumped (usually full manual into a soft box) the thing would suck back close to 20A.

I had another one fro a lab type supply that could deliver 6v, and upto 6A, and the 6A was drawn for the first 3-4 seconds.

But man, did that little falsh recycle fast. You had to take care, to not have the flash tube overheat. I actually took the lens out of the flash head to help the thing brath after noticing that it had started to melt at the ends of the tube after a tear down of one session.

Then I bit the bullet and bought a studio flash rig.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alti View Post
    Do anyone believe or know if it is possible to use a 220V-9V power adapter with the Metz 45 CL-4, to use in a studio situation?

I have the 45-39 battery pack and can quite easily solder an external 9V battery connector to the correct connectors.

But I don't want to fry the flashgun using something with too much power, and as we all know Metz warns against using rechargeables in the battery pack.

Any ideas?
    This was because the NiCads will give a higher peak current output than alkalines. This can overheat the transistors which drive the multivibrator. The nicad pack for mine (a 45 CT1) has it's own contacts within the flash, it does not use the same connection as the alkalines.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have now measured what current the flashgun draws from the NiCd battery pack: 1.6 A. So maybe there is no need for a welding transformer that some of the participants suggest. I see a great risk of frying the transistors by attaching a 20 A power supply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not simply used the proven method: get a used Quantum with cable that plugs directly into the Metz 45? Trying to do this on the cheap?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Why not simply used the proven method: get a used Quantum with cable that plugs directly into the Metz 45?
    The 45 CL-4 has no connector for external power, either battery or power adapter. You must connect the external power through en empty Metz battery pac.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Trying to do this on the cheap?
    Yes, of course! That's half the fun, to use bits and pieces from the trash bins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin