Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,150   Online: 904

Shooter
    Multi Format

Potato masher flash brackets

I am considering a Metz CT-45 and was wondering about the Metz mounting system. From what I can tell, it looks like a really solid mount but it also appears wedded to the Metz mounting bracket which would not be usable with the Koni/Rapid Omega push-pull film advance. Is there a mounting plate available for this system like the Strobonar or Graflex systems that could be used with the dedicated Koni bracket? If not, is the handle compatible with either the Stobonar or Graflex system? Any other systems out there that I might consider? I have downloaded the Metz manual but seems quite vague on this point. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, are you sure it would interfere with the push/pull. The Metz brackets mount to the left of the camera (as you hold it and look at the back); the push/pull is on the right. What I don't know is whether the stock Metz bracket will allow enough room to clear and use the KO grip.

That said, the chrome ring that attaches the Metz grip can be removed, leaving a round "rod" that might be usable with another bracket. Stroboframe offers brackets that hold Metz and other "potato masher" flashes.

Finally, I had (might still have it) a Metz CT45 where a prior owner replaced the metz grip attachment with one from a Honeywell strobonar that mates with the clip type arrangement such as used on the dedicated Koni bracket.

I guess that's a very long winded "yes".
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool, thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Metz bracket for the 60 CT series flashes screwed easily into the bottom of my Koni-Omegas (IIRC). I would expect that the 45 series brackets would work similarly.

You can slide the foot of the bracket from side to side before you tighten it, to give room for your left hand on the Koni-Omega grip.

It will make, however, for a very substantial package when you hand-hold.
    Last edited by MattKing; 11-13-2013 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar and spelling
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Point well taken, Matt. I was hoping that mounting on the focusing side and using both as grips would mitigate that a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as last resort you can always use the standard threaded socket(s) in the chrome connector, that way I have been able to place them into softbox supports or strobe tripods.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it's any help, you can move the Metz CT-45 flash to right side of the camera. You can easily take apart the metal clamp that holds the stem of the flash with just a screwdriver. Slide the shiny metal band off the stem, flip it over and put it back on. Now assemble the clamp again and the flash is now on the right side of the camera. I used to have a home made cable release on my CT45-4. By moving the flash to the right I could hold the camera + flash in right hand and focus with my left hand.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin