Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,636   Online: 877

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Man, this place is getting more judgmental by the minute...

I think its awesome. If you got the gear, why not use it. We are not talking a weekend hack here either!
    Last edited by hoffy; 11-15-2013 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    @ hoffy,
    I understand your point. I may not seem that way here sometime...but I don't act like a big wizard on the set and swoon over my own work/photos.
    I keep my head down, hands on the camera, and leave the high fives for when the paycheck is delivered.
    Sure I get excited about an image, but with carful planning you can capture about anything in controlled situations like this.
    Real world budgets/people wouldn't allow for this. Assistants... I have to keep them at arm's reach anymore just because they simply want to cut me out of the
    loop and go solo... The logistics of setting up that much portable power (those batteries are heavy) my richest client (I've had a couple) wouldn't stoke their own
    ego to the tune of 4 assistants to me, and renting a kings ransom in lighting.... 2 Honda generators 18 Einstein units at $500 each would have had me covered to do this.
    I also doubt Paul C. Buff would have let me have them for free, customers are customers to them.... their stuff sells on reputation of value.

See my note on previous post about why White Lightning units are so affordable.
    And in the end check out this guys work... real amazing and truly hurculean effort on
    ---ONE SHEET OF FILM in most cases.
    http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...o-a-halt/?_r=0

I'm a full time pro of about 30 years and my client's budgets don't leave enough room on the table to even think about a ProPhoto outfit of 4 heads and two
    power units.... (Iv'e price them, and saved the difference on equipment outlay to provide for my family)
    The set up with batteries and the jet was to sell flash and camera (A new Blad system and back cost 6x what I have in my current daily ride).
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 11-15-2013 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    @ hoffy,
    I understand your point. I may not seem that way here sometime...but I don't act like a big wizard on set on swoon over my photos.
    Like this guy did, sure I get excited about an image, but with carful planning you can capture about anything in controlled situations like this.
    Real world budgets wouldn't allow for this. See may note on previous post about why White Lightning units are so affordable.
    And in the end check out this guys work... real amazing and truly hurculean effort on
    ---ONE SHEET OF FILM in most cases.
    http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...o-a-halt/?_r=0

I'm a full time pro of about 30 years and my client's budgets don't leave enough room on the table to even think about a ProPhoto outfit of 4 heads and two
    power units.... (Iv'e price them, and saved the difference on equipment outlay to provide for my family)
    The set up with batteries and the jet was to sell flash and camera (A new Blad system and back cost 6x what I have in my current daily ride).
    I totally get where the vid was going. Blind freddy could see that.

And to be honest, I wasn't implying what you have shown above and your comments as being higher then mighty (please teach me! High speed strobe photography is pretty cool).

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Wrong Tool with lot of wastage of money and time. I don't like these type of photography because i think good photographer can capture good photographer without wastage of money. Photography skills are important in all photographer's life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi vpwphoto

i couldn't agree with you more about clients, wizardry and getting the work done without a circus
    (and o winston link was a master of the medium no-doubt! and it is important to know our past)
    but you have to admit sometimes it is fun to see someone do something kind of goofy and foolish
    just to shake your head and smile and say LOL that is kind of silly, and there is a self promotion
    youtube video of the whole thing. to be honest i thought it was kind of funny to see that he didn't point
    the lights UP at first but, what do i know ..

great work you (o- ) linked to ( sorry for the pun) !
    in a past life i worked for a newspaper and had an assignment photographing projectiles being launched out of "the tube" ( on a boat )
    didn't use anything fancy, no circus of assistants or 100K worth of lighting ... and the client was just as impressed ..
    certainly not stopping a shotgun that's fun ! ( darn, no vimeo video to link to! youtube is so passé vimeo is much cooler )

=====

this thread kind of reminds me of a guy 7? 8? years ago who made this enormous camera ... he was in the news, all over the interweb ..
    he captured the public spotlight because of this giant thing. he was raving about how he could see enormous detail
    from the extreme foreground to the needles of the pinetrees on the hillsides in the distance. ( you know like a film based image is capable of (oops) )

people who regularly shoot ULF cameras, 20x12 &c chimed in the thread saying " hey when i stick film in my camera i can take the
    exact same image, extreme focus and detail far and infinity " couldn't have agreee more
    .... but it was still fun seeing this guy build his frankenstein from scratch, and he didn't even have marty feldman as an assistant

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-22-2013 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    This guy impresses me more... and he did a lot of his work with flash bulbs... only one shot at the shot... train/light/bulbs only there once a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link
    I've seen some of O. Winston Link's lighting gear up close (the Link Museum in Roanoke, VA is just down the road from me; some of his lights are shown at the very bottom of this page). Wouldn't want to be looking right at it when the bulbs flashed, for sure!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin