Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,088   Online: 933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Light meter advice?

Hello,

Wondering if you can help.

I am looking to purchase a hand-held light meter to use whilst shooting medium format film, although I will be doing some cine work too.

I would be needing one, if possible, with both incident and reflective or spot capabilities. Also a flash mode would be useful.

My research so far seems to direct me to the Sekonic Flashmate l-308s and the minolta Auto Meter IVF (+ the spot metering attachment).

I do like the idea of being able to spot meter, the flashmate however is perhaps simpler and quicker (but less accurate?), well at any rate this is the budget I am in so I'm wondering if you can tell me if I'm on the right track here?

The main problem is the budget, these would probably be second hand. Also I'm not really sure I can properly tell one model from another so I would be grateful for any assistance/ further suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

Francis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An option for you to consider is Sekonic L-558 or L-778. They offer all that you seem to want in a meter, and maybe more. I don't know how I can help or even reasonably address your budget other than to suggest that if you shop around and are patient there are some good deals that come up from time to time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Minolta is the lower cost option on the used market....most photographers today have zero memory of the fact that Minolta commanded #1 position among both pros and amateurs in the meter market for decades, before they left the meter market thereby allowing Sekonic to finally move up in the rankings.
    So now you see tons of recommendations for Sekonic, and little mention of Minolta meters. Greater awareness makes Sekonic immediately in greater demand that Minolta, although both are equally fine products!

The spot attachment for Minolta is only a 5 degree spotmeter, which make it a bit less valuable than a one-degree angle of view.

The Autometer is more comparable to Sekonic L358, so the consideration is similar to
    "L308 or L358...which to buy?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't try to get one to do everything. I have a fancy Minolta flashmeter4 and a Sekonic L208 incident meter. The L208 is comparitively small and technically inferior, but it gets the most use since it's so small and light. It's not expensive to buy a used minolta and they are nice if you want something that does anything.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by francis90 View Post
    Hello,

Wondering if you can help.

I am looking to purchase a hand-held light meter to use whilst shooting medium format film, although I will be doing some cine work too.

I would be needing one, if possible, with both incident and reflective or spot capabilities. Also a flash mode would be useful.

My research so far seems to direct me to the Sekonic Flashmate l-308s and the minolta Auto Meter IVF (+ the spot metering attachment).

I do like the idea of being able to spot meter, the flashmate however is perhaps simpler and quicker (but less accurate?), well at any rate this is the budget I am in so I'm wondering if you can tell me if I'm on the right track here?

The main problem is the budget, these would probably be second hand. Also I'm not really sure I can properly tell one model from another so I would be grateful for any assistance/ further suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

Francis
    I hope you are aware that requests of this type could be easilyreplaced by the question:what meter do you own?,leading toidentical replies of limited value
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For a long time I used a Minolta Autometer IVF with the 5degree spot attachment. I always found it to be accurate, and my only two complaints were that it was a P.I.T.A. to switch from incident to spot modes, and the spot was not all that tight.

I shoot almost exclusively in available light - I don't think that I have ever actually used the flash mode of the meter.

I now carry a Pentax Digital Spotmeter as well, which has the tighter spot, and I feel that I have the best of both worlds.

If on a budget, you can certainly get away with the Minolta Flashmeter IVF, and the spot attachment, and if the spot really bothers you, add another dedicated spot meter later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I hope you are aware that requests of this type could be easilyreplaced by the question:what meter do you own?,leading toidentical replies of limited value
    Good point. Then what you want is a Gossen LunaPro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you going to shoot? Portraiture? Landscapes? Both? Something else?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not going to tell you what to get, but rather my experience. I use a Pentax spotmeter and an old Luna Pro. A spotmeter is a great thing to shoot with but it takes some learning to get consistent exposures. Lately, I've worked with the Luna Pro (calibrated and converted to modern batteries) and find it much better in low light and still gives me consistent exposures. That said, I do fudge the exposures a bit depending on the subject. I'd personally never get on meter that tries to do everything....way too complicated for my simple mind and more importantly too big. The Luna Pro and the more modern version (SBC?) take a 5deg spot attachment, but it is awkward and 5deg isn't all that useful to me.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Even so, I tend to find anecdotal discussion informative.

I'm now thinking that when I can I ought to just spend out on a 1 degree spot meter for the greatest accuracy. However most of the photography I do at the moment is on the street (also the occasional portrait) which leads me think that quick reflected readings are beneficial. On that basis rather than opting for the Minolta IVF, since I was interested particularly in the spot attachment, the Sekonic L-308 would be a better option as, whilst it does not have spot readings, it does have incident and flash capabilities. Also it seems that I could perhaps afford a brand new for around the price of a second hand Minolta with the required attachment. Then, when I finally own a 1 degree spot meter I will have quite a complete set up.

I have read good reports regarding the Sekonic.

Thanks once again for your comments,

Francis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin