Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,515   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

Go first class

Elinchron has a first class reputation. If he is buying I would get the Elinchron. They are very repaetable and consistent in color temp and power regulation and should recycle fairly quickly. Of course if you want to have the very best it is probably a high end Bron...being portible is another matter entirely different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using Dynalite Mx1000 Packs for quite a while, now. They are compact, LIGHTweight (read: good relative portability), have arc-proof connectors and have customer-replaceable flash tubes. All are UV corrected ... having attended a "Turkey Shoot" (I don't even want to think about it!) recently - and working with decidedly Un-UV corrected lamps ... I've vowed - NEVER again!

Paul Buff's Alien Bees enjoy a good reputation - many I know use them, as well as Elinchrom. Speedotron and Normans are used widely around here, as well.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Boy, where to begin. A few years ago we got rid of all the big Norman and Speedo stuff. Went to strobe with heads all in one. They are cheaper and faster to set up and tear down. we shoot with raw light most of the time with a couple umbrella's in the forground to soften shadows. We also use criss cross light to create the illusion of depth of field but one side is always subservient to the other. Don't be afraid to shoot light through windows and doorways to create direction. Radio slaves are really handy for the lights you put outside. We never bounce light off the cealings as a fill for lots of reasons. I also recomend mixing hard and soft light to help create decending shapes. We have 16 heads in our shooting kit plus a lots of little 25 and 50 watt socket strobes to add a burst of seperation where needed. Our heads range in power from 2500 watts down to 300 watts (6 of these) so that so that each area for exposure has the appropriate volume of light. we usually shoot at around f11 1/2 at 1/8 of a second. The ambiant really varies depending on the color of the available light. I don't mind the film going to about 4400K. Each kitchen set usually uses 8-10 heads with 2 outside shooting through the windows to establish base exposure and light direction. Both these are on radio slaves and will trigger all the indoor lights. If there are resessed lights the socket lights come in really handy for centralized fill. Be sure and bring a 2 or 3 step ladder to install these and shift the camera down to eliminate the ceiling where these are visible. This is a really quick summary, hope it helps.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FWIW, I just got a Calumet Travelite set-up and will be selling my Speedotrons. They have all the power I need are a very portable (no power pack needed).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin