Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,311   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Advise needed for studio lighting.

A friend of mine who has a kitchen furniture company has asked me to take photographs of the various kitchens in his showroom. He has offered to purchase the equipment I need to take such shots. He also wants me to visit some customers to photograph their finished kitchens for future brochures and for his web site.

What I need is a portable 2 light set with various soft-boxes & brollies etc. It would need to be suitable for your average size kitchen.

I have located two suppliers who are selling the following makes:

Elinchrom
    Prolinca
    Portaflash
    Bowens
    Kaiser-phototechnik

I have used the Bowens lights before and found them to be good but I would like to know which makes others have used and what they recommend.

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I used Comet & Chimera equipment and can recommend them both as good quality equipment for both the studio and location.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Elinchrom and although a little expensive they are very well made units. I found that they took a special "Elinchrom" umbrella rather than any umbrella because of the locking mechanism for the umbrella shaft.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Novatron but AlienBees make a good unit and they're cheap.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use Speedotrons. With furniture shoots, you're gonna need a LOT of space.. You will also need a huge overhead softbox. I recommend using softboxes insead of umbrellas so you can control the light. Umbrellas just spill all over the place!

I would recommend up to 5 strobes to do the job properly.

Andy
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your replys, I will have to do my research on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    I use Novatron but AlienBees make a good unit and they're cheap.
    I second Eric, I have an Alien Bee light and want to add some more someday. My girlfriend's sister recently got married and photog used Alien Bees lights for the formals. I asked him how they held up and he says he uses them for weddings and portrait sessions and never had any problems.

On my light the polycarb cracked a little and they replaced the unit free of charge. Great customer service!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Profoto and Chimera stuff these days. I find it to be good equipment. I do quite a few interior space shoots and IMHO a two light setup is going to be nowhere near enough for an average sized kitchen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My stuff is a bit of a mix. At work, I have 4 Photogenic StudioMaster packs and heads (yes, the old S-200 packs!), and for my traveling kit, I use 5 White Lightning monolights, 2 10000 and 3 5000 units. If I were to be buying new lights now, I'd probably buy a few of the Alien Bee 800's and 1600's.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

all the buzz..

I have the Bee's...4-1600's and accessories. Good stuff. Keep the heads on stands with the case/cover on head and in my truck when I'm "buzzin'" around. I also have the vagabond 300 battery...also good stuff. Now I need a nice Wein transmitter & receiver... Always something we need...never ending.

Some lights bounced off large foamcore works well too, to soften a bit without a softbox...good spread.

Good luck.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin