Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,507   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Strobe Trigger Recommendation

I'm looking for a recommendation for a wireless trigger setup for my studio strobes.

I've been using a wire to connect from my RB-67 to the "first" strobe, and then let them "auto slave" from there. The problems are (a) I don't like having the wire around since its a pain and (b) my strobes (I use Promaster 300C units) occasionally decide not to fire (meaning they don't "see" the flash from the first strobe and fail to fire).

So, I'd like a wireless system that allows me to put a receiver on each of the strobes and bypass the optical slave firing altogether.

I've been looking, and it seems like these things fall into two categories: Big bux, big features units (eg, Pocketwizard) that are way more money than I think I need to spend and way more features than I need OR cheapo crapola (ie, $20 for the whole setup) that I wouldn't trust not to let me down when I need it.

All my strobe use is based on manual setup, so I don't need any TTL stuff or automation stuff or any of that. I hand meter and hand set each strobe. I just need something that will reliably and consistently fire the flashes.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the Pocket Wizard Plus X triggers. They are simple triggers, no extra features and are a lot cheaper than the other models. About $100/each so not Chinese knock-off prices but IMHO worth the extra money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks.

I was looking at those, and am a bit confused on one point: Is the same unit both transmitter and receiver? IE, if I'm running five lights, does that mean I need a total of six of those units?
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Plus X, like most flash triggers, are both transmitter and receiver. So yes, if you don't want to slave, you need one for each light, plus one for your camera. We used cheapo triggers in our studio at first. They work fine for about a year and then break, so we finally got some pocket wizards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go with pocked wizards as well. I've used a bunch of the cheap brands and they are insanely fickle/frustrating/awful and WILL die on you when you really need them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes they are transceivers, you just need two or more of them. Personally I just use two and fire the rest of my lights as slaves.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you're having trouble slaving some lights because of their position, for example if the slave sensor is buried inside a softbox or other fixture, you can use an external slave trigger such as this one:
    http://www.adorama.com/FASE.html

Place where it is sure to be triggered by the other flashes, then run a PC cord back to the light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, all.

I like the looks of the external slave trigger thingy. That may be part of my solution. I like the idea of only needing one receiver instead of five! I have a hard time thinking I have a $600 problem here.

Any thoughts on the internal slave triggers on these? They seemed to work fine for a couple of years, then they got all ishy. Sometimes they will work fine for hours at a time, and other times they just don't. My life would be a lot easier if they just worked like they were supposed to.

These are Promaster 300C units. Not super high-end, but not super cheap either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my totally amateur use, I recently bought a set on the Younguo triggers. My initial use has been fine, but not long enough for a valid opinion. But I did do some research and from what I read they are reliable enough for studio use. I wouldn't trust them for long distances or when you just have one chance for the shot, but for most use they're OK. (If I made my living using them, I'd get the Pocket Wizards.)

Note that some triggers may not be able to handle high voltage. Also, some use easily available AAA batteries, others use somewhat scarcer lithiums.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just wanted to say "thank you" again for all the helpful replies here! This is a great forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin