Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,928   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Beginner Light Meter?

Folks

Another rookie question. I have never owned a light meter and am looking for a good beginner meter. Here is what I am hoping for:

-under 50 bucks off of eBay
    -reflected and incident light meter;will be using it with my newly purchased Rolleicord IV
    -mostly outdoor work, but might shoot indoor once in a blue moon
    -don't have a flash with the Rolleicord
    -mostly black and white film

Do I need a spot meter at this point in time?

Any ideas? I have been looking at the Luna Pro, but I hate these old battery system. Wouldn't mind a AA battery powered meter. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for helping me get my APUG legs.

Huram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I started with was an old Brockway meter (Sekonic rebrand). It was great. Later on I got into a few other meters, but for simplicity it was hard to beat the Sekonic incident meter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Congratulations on getting the Rollei. I love my Rolleiflex! I have a Luna Pro and just buy what they call hearing aid batteries for it. Works great and is very accurate. IMHO using a spot meter with a roll film camera is of very limited value. Unless you had a Blad where you have 3 backs. One for normal dev, -1 and +1 devs.

The Rollei is truly magical. You will love the photos you get from it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you are at all serious about photgraphy, a good handheld light meter is likely to be one of the best investments in a photographic assessory you'll ever make. I would advise that you save up a little more money and get a really good one. You'll not regret it.

That said, I bought a Gossen Luna Pro Digital F a few years ago. It takes a double A battery (or two?) and is quite possibly, the first and last handheld light meter I'll ever own.
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 02-11-2005 at 06:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add specifics

Images
    Another vote for the Luna Pro. Cheap, easy, basic and considering I have not screwed mine up it is definately fool proof.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know what they go for on ebay, but the Luna Pro F I have uses the standard 9V rectangular battery, which lasts a long time. It also meters flash, and accumulates multiple flashes, and has a Zone System scale. I've had it since '82, and even left it outside in the snow and rain for a week when my young child had an emergency a couple of years ago. It's still working fine.
    (I normally don't abuse my equipment like that.)

Lee

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree with Canuck'
    a sekonic incedent meter is of value to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also like Gossen Luna Pro's. I have the F which is great in studio, as well as being one of the most sensitive meters available for low light and night photography.

OTOH I have always wanted the sekonic 508 (I think thats the number) flash/reflective/incidence and semi-spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll put in another recommendation for the Gossen Luna Pro F. It's quite a good workhorse.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Images
    Good Evening,Huram,

Another vote for the Luna-Pro.

Konical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin