Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,535   Online: 1056

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting back to the original topic (with apologies to all of course), part of the answer depends on what you mean by minimal depth of field. Is the DOF in the attached images minimal enough? If so, then David Allen is right on the money. You won't need anything but your camera, your flash and brilliant artistic instinct. If you are shooting close with mediumish format then you will not have much DOF even at modest apertures. Well done fill flash never fails to thrill so best of luck!

J

Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    OK guys..

I was wondering if it's possible to shoot a picture using film camera on bright sunny day and be able to have a minmal depth of field and use a fill flash? Say F2.8.. Would you need high ISO or low ISO film? I drew a blank on this.

Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    Quite simply, if you use a camera with in the lens shutter you can do what you want, also with any camera that allows sync speeds that you can choose. Put simply, set your camera to 1/500 at f16 and use a flash that will illuminate the scene with sufficient light at f16. Now you control the lighting of every scene.

Best,

David.
    wwwdsallen.de
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 11.27.50 AM.png   Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 11.44.57 AM.png   Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 11.48.01 AM.png  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You need some shots with no strobe.

In my test, I assume a truly dark room. I don't think yours is.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Where did I use f/2.8? The only time I used anything other than 6.3/7.1 is to show how low the ambient
    My apologies I misread post 49 and maybe your intent in your posts and tests here.

My thought stands within the context of the thread. Minimum DOF (large aperture), sunny day, and using fill flash.

If we are trying to see how fill flash works we need to give the ambient light a fighting chance.

Maybe we need a different thread to address your question.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yea, sorry for hijacking this thread. Actually I didn't have a question, I was stating my findings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Yea, sorry for hijacking this thread. Actually I didn't have a question, I was stating my findings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's cool, flash is fun and I'm no longer confused.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a bit confused by all the data here, but here is some thoughts.

I'm not sure you have eliminated the possibility that the wireless triggers aren't compatible with the higher shutter speeds.

And I hope that you haven't done something fancy with which curtain you are synching with.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Probably need to resort to using filters. 1/500s is just too slow for a bright sunny day, when shooting at f/2.8 with ISO 100.
    So, shoot at 1/1000. I believe the flash should still sync at that speed with a lens shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wsboyette View Post
    So, shoot at 1/1000. I believe the flash should still sync at that speed with a lens shutter.
    Sorry, no.

The fastest leaf shutters in general use are cock-and-shoot size #00 and #0 (Compur/Copal standard). They will sync with flash at nominal 1/500, actual somewhat slower.

The fastest sync speed for focal plane shutters in general use is, if what I know isn't too far out of date, 1/250. There are a few dedicated flashes -- Olympus made at least one -- that sync with higher shutter speeds by firing repeatedly as the focal plane shutter traverses the film, but I don't think that's what's wanted here.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin