Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,940   Online: 1218

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minimal depth of field on sunny day using fill flash with film camera?

OK guys..

I was wondering if it's possible to shoot a picture using film camera on bright sunny day and be able to have a minmal depth of field and use a fill flash? Say F2.8.. Would you need high ISO or low ISO film? I drew a blank on this.

Todd

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    a slow film would be necessary (low ISO). If it is very bright, you might also need a ND filter or polarizer (which can act like an ND filter).

Shooter
    35mm
    Id use low low iso, camera with short flash synchro time (1/250), adding dense filter may help as well. replace flash with some other filling constant light so You can short Exposure time to whatever needed and keep 2.8 on Your lens

Shooter
    35mm
    I would think a slower speed film would be best, but you need a high enough shutter speed to avoid camera shake. If you can go out in similar light as a practice run, you could adjust your camera settings to see if you can get a usable shutter speed at f2.8 with an available film speed. Then all you need to do is load the chosen film and set the flash to give the right amount of fill. The shutter speed would need to be one that would sync with flash. Some Nikon models have high speed flash sync which might be useful. My F100 does, as does the F5, but you need a compatible flash.
    Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you could use a reflector instead of electronic flash, then you could get away with ISO 100 film. Let's say your meter reading is f/11 @ 1/125 second with ISO 100 film. Then, you could use f/2.8 @1/2000.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually run with 100 ISO BW film.. think that low enough to get it?

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably a slow film, ND filter and reflector instead of flash would be the best way to do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should mention too that I would like to use FE which has a max speed of 100 or my Rollei which has max sp of 500. don't know if that is possible.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you use a camera with a leaf shutter, you should be able to sync at a high speed, thereby killing the ambient, and getting more bang for your buck with the flash.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably need to resort to using filters. 1/500s is just too slow for a bright sunny day, when shooting at f/2.8 with ISO 100.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin