Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1125

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like shortening flash-duration at an electronic flashlight. In practice already the delivered electrical energy is huge, though only for an extreme short time. Reducing duration time to infinitively small values would make the spent energy infintively large.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want another confounding factor think on this. The light intensity at any point in space away from a point light source is zero. A point in space has zero area so no photons can pass through it. And yet an illuminated surface consisting notionally of uncountable points with no spaces between them does intercept photons.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    If you want another confounding factor think on this. The light intensity at any point in space away from a point light source is zero. A point in space has zero area so no photons can pass through it. And yet an illuminated surface consisting notionally of uncountable points with no spaces between them does intercept photons.
    It's not a series of points, it's called a plane. Planes have area, points don't. Points are points in space, and have no volume. Planes are a surface that occupies space....
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Like shortening flash-duration at an electronic flashlight. In practice already the delivered electrical energy is huge, though only for an extreme short time. Reducing duration time to infinitively small values would make the spent energy infintively large.
    This is not true.

Shortening a flash-duration would not increase the instantaneous power output of the flash, it would stay the same. To attain the same overall light output hitting the subject, you'd have to increase the instantaneous power output of the flash.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In out, PM me if you want me to ask my dad anything else...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    As the distance approaches zero, the intensity asymptotically approaches infinity. You can never reach zero distance.
    Then how does something "approach" zero or infinity? No matter how small something gets, it is always infinitely far away from zero, and now matter how large, it is always infinitely far away from infinity.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think if the light source is a true point source that is a point with no dimension then it's possible to have infinite intensity

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    Then how does something "approach" zero or infinity? No matter how small something gets, it is always infinitely far away from zero, and now matter how large, it is always infinitely far away from infinity.
    I take it you've never studied calculus? It includes a study of limits (as in the limit when something approaches zero or infinity).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I think if the light source is a true point source that is a point with no dimension then it's possible to have infinite intensity
    that was my point ,hence the doubt about the equation
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was going to say maybe the limit was a half-inch. But looking at the kinds of devices that you can setup to take advantage of inverse square law, I could imagine a "grease spot photometer" could be invented to fit within a rangefinder of a camera, and there's no reason this device couldn't be a quarter-inch overall and still be effective.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin