Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,838   Online: 796

Shooter
    Medium Format

Model Light for Strobist lighting?

Hey Guys,

Most of you know that I managed to put together a Strobist kit for remote location shoots for my film cameras. However.. in that golden hour(sunset) it's difficult to focus due to lack of light. I use a SB-24 and Sunpak 544 flash. So have you guys heard of a accessory thats out there than can be attached as a model light?

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about a small, cheap hotshoe mounted LED video light? You should be able to get something on dx.com for less than $20. If you are using your hotshoe for triggers than just stick an extra cold shoe onto your camera body somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a modeling light, a small flashlight velcroed on to the flash should work fine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a modeling light, a small flashlight velcroed on to the flash should work fine.

Thats what I was thinking. I have a couple of LED lights I got from Costco that came three in a pack. Do you think they over power the flash? It looks like white light so it shouldn't give color film an aweful look. What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post

Thats what I was thinking. I have a couple of LED lights I got from Costco that came three in a pack. Do you think they over power the flash? It looks like white light so it shouldn't give color film an aweful look. What do you think?
    A small flashlight will give you far less light than almost any electronic flash - unless you use really long (several seconds) exposure times.

Be careful about using them as modeling lights - it will be difficult to set them up to illuminate your subject in exactly the same way as the flashes. In addition, if they have a tightly focussed beam, they should be diffused in order to ensure comfort for any people in your pictures, and to give you a better sense of how the edges of your scene will appear.

They should be fine to give you enough light to focus.
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-17-2014 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have shoot through umbrellas and reflective umbrellas. I think using those flashlite's for ambient use wouldn't work out to well.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you want a light to just help you focus or do you want an actual modeling light? If the answer is the latter then it might be easiest to just get some strobes that have modeling lights.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to focus..

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    how about pacing it off & just set the lens focus based on this distance?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you just need it for focusing than, to me, an on-camera light makes more sense than putting something on your off-camera flashes. Something like this light from B&H would go into your hotshoe OR your tripod mount on the bottom of the camera, it is small, lightweight and dimmable. Also you aren't blasting a flash light in someone's eyes.

$20 plus shipping from B&H, just as one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...DEO_LIGHT.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin