Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,275   Posts: 1,681,048   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What reflector?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What reflector?

I do mostly large format photography with available light but occasionally I find that nature needs a little boost. I have some favourite spots around the house for portraits but they tend to be a little too backlit. I need a reflector that can throw a little more light on my subject to balance things out a little. I don't have a lot of experience with lighting and never use flash so I am a little in the dark (pardon the pun). I have used a very small reflector in the past but I think I need something to bring out the entire subject. Any suggestions? Size? Material? My main requirement is that it be portable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of my favorite tricks is to simply mimic (and supplement) the available light by shooting strobes in through windows. A hard source will give you a crisp light as if the sun were low in the sky and lighting the room. You can also cover the window with a sheet and shoot the light through that for a soft light. If someone has white shutters or window coverings, I sometimes close those and then bounce a soft box off that surface for another soft, north light feel.

I would suggest getting a White Lightning or Alien Bees head and maybe adding a soft box later. You can do a hell of a lot with one strobe and a white sheet.

For reflectors, just find an inexpensive one with a silver surface. You can also use those reflectors made for car dashboards.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the collapsable photo reflectors (you can see a wide variety at the B&H web site). 42 inch reversable white/silver meets my needs best for indoor work like you describe.

One can also use a piece of white foam core board and crinkle aluminum foil too. I did that for years and it works but isn't compact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don,

I've got black powder and magnesium - let's make an old-fashioned flash-pan. Reflectors aren't nearly as much fun
    - Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Don,

I've got black powder and magnesium - let's make an old-fashioned flash-pan. Reflectors aren't nearly as much fun
    I am in. Follow-up question: where do we get the flame-retardent suits?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I like the collapsable photo reflectors (you can see a wide variety at the B&H web site). 42 inch reversable white/silver meets my needs best for indoor work like you describe.

One can also use a piece of white foam core board and crinkle aluminum foil too. I did that for years and it works but isn't compact.
    I was looking at those collapsible reflectors. I have a very small one and wondered if the large would be unwieldy, but I guess not. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cheapest, simplest is a piece of foamcore. Depending on your needs, you can keep it white, you can cover it with aluminum foil to make it brighter and silvery for more of a cool tone, or spray paint it gold for a warm reflection. Or if you want to get more high-end, get some of those collapsible reflector discs mentioned in a previous post. if you get the discs, they also sell an arm you can clip to a lightstand to help hold the reflector when you don't have an assistant to hold it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I am in. Follow-up question: where do we get the flame-retardent suits?
    Have you noticed that those flame-retardent suits are usually made of a shimmery, metallic looking material? They make good reflectors! The economics are looking sound.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I'm so durned old that I remember photographers who as young whippersnappers used flash powder in the days before those new-fangled flash bulbs. You could always look to see if they were telling the truth about using flash powder -- the real guys always had a part of a finger or two or three missing. If they used a tad too much flash powder, there would be an huge explosion....
    This tickles my sense of adventure. I have never taken a portrait while crouching behind a blastwall. Digital could never be this exciting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Don,

Do you have a good recipe? I've been meaning to try this with my 4x5. My co-worker has been bugging me about creating a setup like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin