Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,700   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For size (portability), Alien Bees are honeys, I hear. They are considerably smaller than comparable White Lightnings, but intended for lighter duty than the comparable White Lightning models. I believe the Alien Bee reflectors are the same size as the WLs, though, so you can mix-n-match accessories.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought the Alien Bees "Busy Bee" package last year ($1675) but upgraded the B800's to the 1600's for (apply Tim Allen Inflection here) "More Power".

I would eliminate the wired remote thing ($100.00) and add some barndoors. I also bought the portable battery ("Vagabond") and the additional power pack. I used it for a field shoot at dusk with 6 subjects and it worked excellent. I found out at the Zion workshop that it does not power a percolator though...

Five year warranty on all their lights. I think it's hard to beat the bang for buck with White Lightning/alien Bees.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Firstly, I would learn to take portraits outdoors without strobes at all.
    Secondly, the strobes I've used for many years in studio, and portable are Photogenic Powerlites, 600ws minimum.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Blansky, plus, I'd recommend a trivial investment in a book on lighting. I'd hate to see you invest in equipment before you understand basic features like modeling lights. Study, arm yourself with knowledge, then spend the big bucks.

Try going to amazon.com, type "photo studio lighting" in the search box, or try your hand at different keywords. Lots of books available. I bet some APUGers have favorites to recommend. (Don't look at me, I have basic Novatrons that I pull out once a year for Christmas portraits...)

-chuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin