Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,099   Posts: 1,636,323   Online: 1341

Shooter
    35mm

Rollei E 36 RE power source and battery?

Should the Rollei E 36 RE flash unit power up when the ac charger is plugged in but there is no battery in the flash? Or does this constitute a malfunction?

Also, is this battery usable in the flash?
    http://www.shopwiki.com/d/652623/683...ry-55630310059

The original is rated for 500 mAh; this one is 300. This one has tabs. Also, I'm not sure if this one is the right size physically.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need a battery. It won't power off the charger alone. Not sure if that one in your link will work, the original was about 4" tall. Maybe if you use a little spacer it might be worth a try. This one will work: http://mapleleafbattery.com/?product...ei-e36re-flash
    Some more information here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...v-rebuild.html
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-04-2015 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about this...

I read (?) that the battery is the same as the Pentax Spotmatic motordrive/pistol grip...and they have a piece that accepts 8AA batteries. Not sure where to find that piece...or if it would work...?

Shooter
    35mm
    And here are the specs for the battery I previously linked to, including size:

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/plc...ry-55630310059

Does it look like it's the right one?

I have an original battery but it's all corroded/leaking. It, too, is by Varta but is blue and 500mAh and lacks tabs. I would think the tabs on this other battery could be removed easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're in the US, Batteries+ rebuilds battery packs(NiCad?)
    About the tabs, you could easily leave them on, they're very thin. They're also welded in place and gonna be
    a pain to remove without damaging the cells.

Trying to judge fit online is going to be a shot in the dark but since you have the original why not measure it?
    300Mah will get you fewer flashes per charge too.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not much to rebuild, it is just a stack of ten button cells that, I believe, are no longer available in the correct size and capacity. As you can see by the link in the original post that is about as close as one can get with the available button cells and it is not the correct size or capacity.

Not sure if that one in your link will work, the original was about 4" tall. Maybe if you use a little spacer it might be worth a try. This one will work: http://mapleleafbattery.com/?product...ei-e36re-flash
    Some more information here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum57/f...v-rebuild.html

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The manual says that for mains-only operation the battery must be inserted.

Why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The manual says that for mains-only operation the battery must be inserted.

Why?
    The supplied charger is a low amperage 'trickle' charger and it can't supply the amperage to charge the flash capacitor. In the "Duplex" mode mentioned in the manual, the charger just keeps the battery from running down during use. If the battery is already dead it probably won't charge the flash capacitor.

15 years ago I did use my E36 with its original old, nearly-dead battery for my wedding. I had it plugged in and it actually did charge the flash capacitor but it took about a minute or more to charge between shots.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your explanation.

However the manual also says to swicht the flash off when using it in mains-mode. Thus there likely will be no capacitator charging from the batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Thank you for your explanation.

However the manual also says to swicht the flash off when using it in mains-mode. Thus there likely will be no capacitator charging from the batteries.
    First off it is good to have a conversation about these flashes, I'm glad to know others like using them.

The manual I have is actually labeled "E34C" and I have had a number of similar Rollei flashes and none seem to be labeled on the outside, but they all look similar. So I suspect the one I had 15 years ago was the E34C. That one does not have a "Mains-only" operation only "Duplex." Looking closely at the "E36RE" manual, and the operational flashes I currently have, it looks like it will charge the flash capacitor when the switch is off as you pointed out. So I guess I can't answer the question as to why the battery needs to be in place in the E36RE. But when you take the battery out, the charge light on the charger goes out and charging (either battery or flash capacitor) does indeed stop.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin