Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,177   Online: 875

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta Flash Meter IV

I posted this in the exposure section but have received no responses. Sorry for re-posting but I need to figure this out.

Does anyone use a Flash Meter IV?

I just purchased one and I can meter amb/flash in 'contrast mode', but when I set it to 'f.no mode' the shutter value rolls to 'cine' and none of the buttons work, and it eventually shuts off.

I'm assuming it's broken, but if for some odd reason this is normal or I'm doing something in error, I'd like to know.

Anyone know?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go here, http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...eter_iv_01.pdf...

There is no 'contrast mode',
    • only Ambient light mode, with selection of 'Time' or 'f number' priority
    • only Flash measurement Corded or non-Corded or, with selection of 'Time' or 'f number' priority

When Time is priority, you can choose to display 'f number' or 'Contrast' for the result of metering. But even when you choose to have f/number display, the contrast scale does appear anyway.

Try changing the shutter speeds up/down. The Cine frame rates come in the sequence past 1/8000 shutter speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I have the manual. it came with the meter.

There is a contrast/f.no switch on the top left side of the meter. When switched to 'contrast' it shows an EV scale and when switched to 'f.no' I believe it is supposed to show an fstop and ev scale, however it doesn't, and none of the buttons work i.e. I can't take a reading, or adjust the shutter, even though the manual says the switch should be on 'f.no'. I can only take readings with the switch on contrast. It may not be a huge concern since I can still take readings in contrast mode, but it's easier for me to read an analog fstop scale than an EV scale, and if it is acting up now there's no telling how much longer it will function.

Directly from the manual:

Ambient Light Measurements ('Time') Mode
    Single Measurements

Analog Display Switch (f.no/contrast): F.No
    Digital Display Switch (f.no/ex.IN): F.No
    Normal/Analyze Switch: Norm
    Single/Multi Switch: Single

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like it's not working properly. Make sure it has fresh batteries in it and if certain features/functions still don't work as described in the manual, return it for a replacement or refund.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Paul mentioned, it does sound like it's not working properly. But, just in case, have you looked at the "User Guide"? It's different from the "Owner's Manual". http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...meter_iv-1.pdf

I would have to wade through the manual, but you can set it to read ambient & flash at same time and see how far apart the indicators are.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin