Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,777   Posts: 1,671,106   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Suggestions for Window Coverings for Portraits

I'm not sure where to put this, so please move it if this isn't the place.

I'm thinking of stealing the Florida room from my wife to use as an art studio/photography portrait location. It's ideal, as there's nothing but glass on 3 sides from the roof to about 3' from the floor. I can't work with visual distractions either for the photography portraits or the painting/printing. Right now there's venetian blinds and you can still see a lot through the gaps, plus they block a lot of light. Not much of a fan of those coke dealer, silvered window coverings. It would be great if I could duplicate the whiteness of a light box, which would allow lots of light in, but only show general shadow movements from outside. In the past I've simply taped up wax paper strips, but it looks a bit tacky here, as the Florida room is the front entrance to our place.

Cheap is good :} At night, I can just pull down some of those roll up blinds. Any ideas? The wax paper can still work if I gussy it up w/ decorative push pins, thin wood frames, etc, but I'm wondering if some other material, perhaps another type of paper or even cloth of some sort, would allow maximum light in, while blocking visual stuff at the same time. I don't want to see anything but white when I look around and work, and much prefer natural light to unnatural indoor light.
    Last edited by momus; 01-24-2015 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Insert pithy philosophic statement of your choice here".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about translucent tracing paper which you can buy by the roll.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bleached muslin. Kinda thick t light through but makes great curtains.
    White fabric by the yard.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I favor natural painters canvass drop cloth. It can be purchased at any paint supply for low bucks.It makes great back drops and can be painted or dyed.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We used frosting spray on the inside of the windows of our utility room. It takes some practice to get it even. The real issue is do you want to make it permanent?

A dual layer of sheer curtains (net curtain for the Brits) might be enough to even out the light and provide privacy. Plus they could be opened or removed. You would want plain material.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking sheer curtains too. We have them behind the main curtains in our bedroom, and the quality of light is really nice. They are bright white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old white linen bedsheets. Get em at a goodwill for $5.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you have a big area to cover I suggest you use ordinary tracing paper stuck to the window with Blue Tack.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I would suggest that you use a back lite film, normally made of 100% polyester, also available up to 72' wide. It would be a great diffusion. From the inside you'd only see shadows passing by. From the outside you would not be able to see in. It would give you a really even white light on the inside. You cost for this type of material would be around 50 cents per square foot.

Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin