Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,523   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Has anybody ever used a product, called....

'Better Beamer' Flash extender, it is apparently a device to extend your flash when using telephoto lenses for better fill flash.

I shoot alot of wildlife photography with long tele's and have been doing alot of birding as of late, and thought I would get some opinions to see if anyone else had used it, before I spent $40 bucks for two pieces of plastic and a small fresnel screen.

Thanks

the guy that makes this is located at thisURL.

http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#BEAMER

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do a lot of birding too, and all the birders who shoot flash except for me use it. I don't because I do flash manually with my Norman setup and a tele reflector, but if you're shooting with a normal shoe-mount flash and if you've got TTL flash metering, it's the thing to have.

Off topic birding event--today outside my office there was a white-throated sparrow singing very assertively, and it's a kind of U-shaped brick building, so it was echoing very loudly, and people who were coming were all looking around to see where it was coming from.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Good Evening, Dave,

I have not used the product you mention, although I recall seeing something about it in a magazine recently (can't recall which one). The concept is a very workable one. Almost thirty years ago, when I was a high school yearbook adviser and needed to shoot nighttime football games, I constructed a similar device using, if I recall correctly, a fresnel lens I found at Edmund Scientific. It wasn't very pretty, but it did work. I also purchased a flexible light pipe which I rigged to feed into the flash sensor in an attempt to maintain auto function. I don't know for sure if that actually worked because I'm sure that most of the shots required the maximum flash output possible anyway. Obviously, a rather accurate alignment of the flash beam with the area covered by the lens is critical.

Konical

Bird people tell stories about birds they like. I tell stories about birds I hate!

For the last 2 years I've been dealing with a woodpecker that's further up the evolutionary scale than most. I think some of the woodpecking is to attract a mate, rather than digging for bugs or whatever they eat. Anyway this woodpecker had the bright idea that he could make a louder noise by banging on the top on my grill on my back deck than by hammering on a tree. He pounds away on the grill for a few seconds then pauses and looks around expecting a flock of woodpecker babes to notice what a smart, noisy, stud he is. He does this over and over for about 20 min to a half hour, before he gives up. Not to worry, he'll be back at 5AM the next morning to do it again. Wakes up the whole house.
    Mr. Woodpecker is going to find out he's too smart for his own good. This year I'm going to kill him...

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Bird people tell stories about birds they like. I tell stories about birds I hate!

For the last 2 years I've been dealing with a woodpecker that's further up the evolutionary scale than most.....
    Mr. Woodpecker is going to find out he's too smart for his own good. This year I'm going to kill him...
    I'm glad he moved from out neighbourhood to yours .

We had a Pileated Woodpecker trying to drill a hole in the top of a hydro transformer around here a couple of years ago.

He must have been telepathic. He left when he realised what I was thinking (thoughts similar to yours )

They're a devil to get a picture of. The Pileated Woodpecker is pretty smart and tends to circle a tree trunk and peek at you from the backside before flying away just as you're about to release the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Our Pileated has not found the power transformer yet, but the nut hatches have been at it for about two years now, little bugger, gets up on the top of the pole and beats for all he is worth on the transformer braket, he has the loudest tap, tap in the valley, normally starts very early in the morning, then he comes back right before dark to beat some more!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave, found a link to the one I had heard about...
    http://www.leppphoto.com/Project-A-Flash/index.html

not sure if it works or worth the money...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think woodpeckers are protected in some states in the U.S. Maybe all. I've never lived anywhere where you could shoot them.

See: http://www.urbanwildlifecontrol.com/animals/woodp.htm for Georgia for example.

And yes, they do use drumming for courtship. Much like hippies.
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    I think woodpeckers are protected in some states in the U.S. Maybe all. I've never lived anywhere where you could shoot them.
    Ummm... Will ?.....

We were just kidding about shooting them.

That's a problem with communicating via internet. The facial expressions, body language and expression of voice tend to......well....ummm...I think you get the drift.

I haven't shot anything but pop cans in years, but if that stray cat gets in my flowerbed again......... :rolleyes:

Here is a really crappy snap of him (Woody, not the cat) :::
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001-small.JPG  
    Last edited by John Bartley; 04-06-2005 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: trying to add a photograph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,
    Use a paintball gun for the cat, If he comes home with some bright paint splashed on him maybe his humans won't allow him out of the house.
    If he is a stray the sting may teach him he's not wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin