Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,132   Online: 875

Shooter
    35mm

Norwood Director

I have a Norwood Director incidence light meter, but the white dome on it is damaged, and needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a company to fix it? Preferably someone in canada, if there is one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyvorlon
    I have a Norwood Director incidence light meter, but the white dome on it is damaged, and needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a company to fix it? Preferably someone in canada, if there is one.
    [font=Garamond][size=3]Follow this link to eBay and check out all the Norwood director meters they have for auction. [/size][/font]

http://search.ebay.com/Norwood-Direc...Z1QQsofocusZbs

[font=Garamond][size=3]You can probably pick up a complete meter for parts for a couple of dollars or less. I was going to suggest that you try a dome for a Sekonic L-398 meter, but while I was looking up Norwood meters, I noticed that dome attaches somewhat differently to the Sekonic. The Norwood evolved into the Sekonic at some point in time. Look at them side by side, and you'll be surprised at how similar they are.[/size][/font]

[font=Garamond][size=3]Hope this helps...[/size][/font]
    [font=Garamond][size=3]Mike Sullivan[/size][/font]
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    After you change out the dome, though, don't you have to recalibrate the meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How damaged is damaged? Mine ended up with a big crack and good dimple (got caught at bottom of my camera bag). Fixed it with crazy glue to hold the crack together and GENTLY pushed the dimple out. Looks well seasoned but still holding together after 2 years. The new sekonic domes are too big to fit into the hole, as I discovered. Cheers ...

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the U.S. :

Quality Light Metric
    7060 Hollywood Blvd.
    Suite 415

(323) 467 2265

They should have the parts. They do repair, recalibrations etc. A good place even for Spectra meters.

FYI: The Norwood director actually lead to the Spectra meters as Karl Freund licensed Don Norwood's patents and rights to the photosphere and started the Photo Research company. The Sekonic and other knock-offs are NOT anything but copies using expired patents and products of "other people's" intellecual creativity. They are NOT related to the Norwood director despite Sekonic having made the last series of Director meters for Brockway---Brockway bought the rights to the Norwood director from Fruend--- and also licensed the design for their own brand. These patents expired in 1960 and the design was picked up by Gossen, Sekonic (without license) and others... Free for all....

So... The real Norwood design is the Spectra (still made in Bakelite and called the "Classic"). Its all kind of wild since the Norwood Director, not the Spectra, went then into production in 1949 for American Bolex Corp and was sold as the Bolex meter.. The Norwood Director style became popular among amateurs and the Spectra style among professionals.. Then Spectra introduced in responce the the success of the Gossen Luna-Pro the Combi-II which was like a Norwood Director on steroids.. OK.. enough side-tracking... Contract Quality in Hollywood :-)
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

How intact are the detectors on these old meters?
    I have a Director (also with the dome dimpled, yellowed, etc) but it compares closely with my Soligar Spot. On the other hand, I also have a Weston Master II that is about 3 stops off (less light detected).

My Soligar is dead on linear and I've been using it for 20 years, so I "trust" it.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine has been dead on for years. Don't use it as much anymore but I still trust the readings.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin