Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,429   Online: 846

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,
    It can't be done.

Images
    I see what you mean, Callow. A truely nice looking failure you have there. I hope I fail as bad as you did.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mrcallow, Your example shows very well what Mr. Cook and I were saying!
    Of course if this image of yours is acceptable to you and Mark it is fine with me. On the other hand I will publically state it is a grotesque representation of a good photographic image. It would fit well in the "experimental" gallery!
    In my very humble opinion!!!!!!!!

Avadon and others did considerable manipulation to get their final display prints. It just wasn't done in the camera!

Enuff said on this one, it is obvious that you will never accept the fact, so do it your way. The entire field of commercial photography and the methods and techniques used by the printing industry are wrong. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Boy, you're tough, Charles! If mrcallow's shot shows background bleed, I sure as heck can't see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My blacks could be blacker, my white is not pure.

Grotesque?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Mrcallow, Your example shows very well what Mr. Cook and I were saying!
    Of course if this image of yours is acceptable to you and Mark it is fine with me. On the other hand I will publically state it is a grotesque representation of a good photographic image. It would fit well in the "experimental" gallery!
    In my very humble opinion!!!!!!!!

Avadon and others did considerable manipulation to get their final display prints. It just wasn't done in the camera!

Enuff said on this one, it is obvious that you will never accept the fact, so do it your way. The entire field of commercial photography and the methods and techniques used by the printing industry are wrong. :-)
    Such a strong statement with nothing to back it up. What the hell are you talking about? Grotesque? If there is bleed I do not see it. Where is it? What could have been done differently? Please show us an example of how it should look when done with your methods. I would not have asked the question if I did not want to learn. Callow presented an example of what he does and his methods. As a visual learner, so far, his example is the only meaningful post presented in this thread. The rest is a bunch of words I sort of understand. With no example I have a hard time understanding.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format

White backround with color film

Tha late Dean Collins taught me this simple trick over 20 years ago. It involves setting the lighting and exposure on your subject with an incident meter and then lighting the backround until its reflective reading is 2-1/2 stops brighter than the subjects incident reading. Any less and the background will be muddy and any higher and you will get a fuzzy outline on the subject due to too much light reflecting off the backround. Works every time.

Images
    SO you do not use the dome right? Do you expose for the subject, or do you expose for the background and then up it 2.5 stops? Probably a dumb question but I am new at this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

You DO use the dome on the meter. first meter for your subject with the main light used to light up the subject. Set your background lights 1.5 to 2 stops over as MrCallow wrote. Meter whatever other fill lights you will be having - about 0.5 to 1 stop less. Do a check with Polaroid.

To avoid light spill, you can move the subject away from the background itself. You can use the reflective meter, as indicated for the background, but the inceident metering has always worked for me. Although, I am going to try that trick the next time.

BTW I believe this technique is called "high-key" if you want to do any more searching on the subject.

Regards, Art.
    PS Attached is model Alysia shot in high key. She'll be one of the models I'll be shooting just before the APUG Conference in Toronto. So if you register for the conference, you are welcome to 'assist' me that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alysia-44-CR23.jpg  
    Last edited by gr82bart; 08-12-2005 at 10:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Images
    Thanks Art, it makes sense now. I won't be able to make it to the conference, but thanks for the offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin