Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 823

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spot Meters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spot Meters

Ok I would like a few opinions please:

I just recently got my LF camera, and obviously I would like spot meter (currently I am lugging my nikon f100 around and using that to spot meter) I'm kind of in the market and kinda not (meaning i don't really have a lot of money at the moment to spend on equipment, since i just my omega d6, and my crown graphic)

I would like an opinion in two catagories, since its not a absolute need right now i'll prolly save and get the one i really want(which i don't know what it is yet). First what would be everyones first choice (resonable choice not a $10,000 meter, if such a meter exsist) and what would be everyones first choice if the person was price sensative, meaning best bang for the buck. New and used both, i'm open to suggestions.

thank you in advance.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    First choice is Pentax Digital Spot Meter (un Zone VI).

Second, is the Sekonic L-408. A good all-around small light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Minolta Digital Spotmeter and love it. I picked it up on ebay for a little over $100 a couple of years ago.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pentax digital spot is nice for the zone system cuz you stick a zone sticker on their and there is less to think about. That's what i would have if i didn't use it for motion pictures as well. I've got the Minolta F which will go for around $275 on ebay. They don't make it anymore and that's why they aren't cheap. It gives you the ev or stop in the viewfinder so you don't have to take your eye away, i find that very handy. It's 1deg and can be calibrated yourself against another meter just by turning a screw under the battery compartment. Try doing that with other meters.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What kind of photography are you planning on doing with your camera? It makes a difference. For me, as I do primarily landscapes, my primary meter is a Sekonic Dual Spot F, with 1 and 3 degree spot metering. When I do macro, I use an old Minolta Flash III, with a ground glass attachment.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a pentax digital spot meter too, picked up cheap ($100 or so). Most camera spot meters aren't as spot as they claim, and the spot size changes as you change the lenses. That trick works, but I prefer to use a separate meter, it's lighter and more accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your question comes up rather often. Try a search on this site for 'spot meter'. Here's a recent thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ght=spot+meter
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi,
    Consider the Gossen Ultra Spot or Ultra Spot II. The only difference in them is in the flash feature. The Ultra Spot does zone system and is really expensive, but there are almost always some on eBay and I have bought them at cheap prices. My goal is to have the luxury of a meter in every camera bag..(I am a little obsessive)..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in precisely the same position a few years ago - "needed a spot meter" didnt want to spend a lot. I was able to locate a Soligor Spot-Sensor II on one of the google groups for $50. It's not fancy, but it's great, and was right in my price range

here's one someone (no affiliation) is selling on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Soligor-Spot-Met...QQcmdZViewItem

good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Minolta 1degree spot meter at a yard sale (paid about $10) and it works for me.

You can find one of those Soligor meters, not fancy but it gets the job done.....
    Get what you can afford, it maybe all you really need.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin