Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,291   Online: 903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backdrops

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just bought my first background about a month ago at a camera show in TX. I purchased a seamless black background for $40 and a set of stands for $75. The stands are not really impressive, but they certainly do the job. The company that makes them was selling an assortment of overstock and it may be worth your while to check them out.

J&K Company
    Plano, TX
    1-800-476-3864
    http://jandkgroup.com/

It looks like the prices are higher than that on the website, buy there is another camera show January 14th and 15th. If you can make it to Grapevine (near Dallas), a good deal can probably be had.

Peter
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Large Format
    I find that backdrops is one area where internet searches fail me. While there are plenty of companies that make inexpensive backdrops, most of them look poorly when photographed. I guess you get what you pay for...
    I recommend starting with www.bhphotovideo.com and checking out what they have first. After that, consider Won in Korea (www.artwon.co.kr) which are pricey but nice ($150-250 per backdrop), or Charles Broderson in NYC (www.brodersonbackdrops.com) which is really expensive ($350 per day to rent, $3000 to buy).

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Once upon a time I was the Norwegian agent for these backgrounds: http://www.colourscape.co.uk/

They are very good - and I'm thinking of buying a few again since I sold out all my stock!

BTW, I stopped representing them due to having filled the local market: Norway has few people and lots of nature, there just isn't all that much of a market for backgrounds. That, coupled with a worsening exhange rate, made it uneconomical to keep selling them at the prices I wanted to sell them at.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    The complimentary color to white people flesh tone is close to green.
    Michael

Blansky, I did not say "white people flesh tone" I said that the browns were complimentary to flesh tones. I ment all flesh tones!

A "monotonic print" indeed is the result with any color of background if you have little or no skill at properly exposing and developing a piece film. I strongly believe that might be the source for your failures in using a brown ground. J Karsh would sure roll over in his grave if he knew that the hundreds of his portraits that he had made over his lifetime were
    "monotonic" because he used brown grounds through out his career.
    Charlie...............

Shooter
    35mm
    Go to a shop that sells goods for making drapes. Material 52 inches wide is easily found in many colors and in patterns.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin