Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,463   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I never ever remember doing a second POP at Chucks studio

Other studios I worked with yes but , never with the Sun Gun so Chuck must of had more capacitors as I said than you for I can remember shots with real long lenses and a bunch of bellows extensions with just one POP, or a loud POP and the shot was done... Great Memories...

Shooter
    Medium Format

ALBERT NYE STROBES

HI ALL:
    RECENTLY I SAW AN ARTICLE RELATING TO ALBERT NYE STROBES. I WAS A NEW PHOTOGRAPHER IN NEW YORK CITY IN 1966 WITH A STUDIO IN A BUILDING AT 333 PARK AVE. SO. I RECEIVED A VISIT FROM ALBERT WHO SOON BECAME A CLOSE FRIEND. I BOUGHT A "PORTABLE" 1000 WATT SECOND UNIT THAT WAS ENCLOSED IN A PLYWOOD BOX AND WEIGHED ABOUT 40 POUNDS. I THEN BOUGHT ANOTHER UNIT THAT WAS THE SAME BUT ENCLOSED IN METAL. I STILL HAVE THAT UNIT. LATER ON I BOUGHT TWO TWO THOUSAND WATT UNITS FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHER JERRY SHATZBERG {PUZZLE OF A DOWNFALL CHILD} AND {PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK} THE 2000 UNITS WEIGHED MORE THAN 200 POUNDS AND THE CABLE FROM THE UNIT LOOKED LIKE A HOSE, BUT NOT THE GARDEN VERIETY, MORE LIKE THE FIREMAN TYPE. I BROUGHT THEM TO MEXICO IN 1970. EVENTUALLY ONE EXPLODED AND I SOLD THE OTHER. ANYONE INTERESTED IN MORE ALBERTO NYE STORIES PLEASE CONTACT ME.
    SALUDOS
    STEVE LYNCH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Chuckfishbein
    I would be interested in talking to you about the ascor packs that you know of that might be for sale. I haven't had many responses about people wanting to sell them so I look forward to talking to you. Thanks.... My email is mattw@brutonstroube.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ascor

This post is hysterical. Talk about bringing back memories. 8 Pops on the sun gun LMAO. I remember working for a guy on 17th street he used balcars god I hated those things and the repair guy on Madison as well. Well anyways shooting products Panasonic, Coors yada yada. Wood floors old loft the floors would move. Multiple pops up to 64 pops for f45 was a great time. I remember one time he was doing a shoot for Thomas English muffins. I was the 1st assistant this shoot for muffins was going on for days. And every morning I would get in around 6 am and we had thousands of muffins in the plastic packages ( you know it had to have the right ridges and dimples) and I would notice bites almost human bites out of the packages. I finally put it together and we had visitors at night eating the product. God did I laugh. I guess one told all his buddies at Union Square Hey there is a Muffin party on 17th Street and Broadway. You gotta love NYC rats. Back in the days of the Underground.

So I went out on my own had a studio on 20th street and I used Ascor QC 1000's I had 10 packs and 20 lights. Loved them. Fast dependable ya ok the occasional arc here and there but Peter Lui always fixed them up. Traveled all over the country with this suckers on planes and not once did I get on location to have a problem with them. There where always rock solid. How ever my assistants hated hauling them around. Well thank you for fueling the memories.
    Ok now for this. after not being used for 15 years (I still have 4 packs) I have them plugged in charging. If you want to know what happens just ask. If I don't answer I think you will know what happend.

Best to all and ty for stirring the brain with fond memories. Multiple Pops with floors that moved. WTF where we doing back then.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ascor

So did the units work? Can you post a picture or two?

Shooter
    35mm

ascor 800's

I remember them well! First studio I worked in used ascor, back in the late 70's. I still have 2 800's, heads, accessories....tried to sell locally, but no luck, I don't think anyone knew what they were! I'll send pic. Thanks, Keith Tolman, Highland Mi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7426E.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ascor sunlight system

I have a collection of sunlight equipment that I have used extensively for over 25 years, always with aamazing results, and few , if any, problems. There is nothing that I know of that can supply the combination of short duration and power that this system provides. I also have a model A901 that I think was made on special order with two heads. I have shot extensively with this unit at 5-10 frames per second. I would love to talk with anyone who knows more about this unit or the sunlight system. It's all about to go into storage, unless someone out there wants to give it a good home. Maybe the Smithsonian.......

Shooter
    35mm

Ascorlight QC-8 Sync Cord

My father was a freelance photographer in New York in the 60s and 70s and did some commercial work. He used an Ascorlight QC-8 Flash System for some location shoots, but I don't remember him having any issues with it. Fast forward almost 40 years, and needless to say, after reading all the stories about the Ascor units, I was a little nervous to plug in the power supply and test it with the flash heads. I am happy to report that it worked flawlessly. I am very impressed with its performance.

I was wondering if by any chance someone might have the sync cord that is compatible with the Ascorlight QC-8 Electronic Flash System? I do not know what happened to it. According to the Ascorlight manual, it was a 9 ft. sync cord with microphone connector, Model #081-106. It’s described as having a locking ring on the microphone type connector. The sync socket on the QC-8 is 5/8” in diameter and threaded around outside with a 3/16” metal contact in the center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about an instrument emporium? The mic connecter may still be in common use.
    Verify the connecter fits and solder a PC cord on the camera end.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ebraver, do you still have the Ascor 800 series equipment? Looking for everything...controllers, condensers, heads cables and ESPECIALLY flash tube. Ft-623 a Ft-603. Putting together a system and looking for anything working or not. I've been rebuilding and refurbishing. Please advise what you have and if you are willing to part with them. Peter - 510-882-0941

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin