Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,386   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob
    If you really want to impress someone try using 3 bulb flash heads together with the big #3 bulbs - each with a guide number of 550 for ISO 100. You can light an auditorium with this set up.
    Check this link for a good idea of what can be accomplished with bulb flash (43 bulbs) - probably a feat that couldn't be duplicated with electronic flash at the same cost. Page 2 on this site shows some of his flash heads.
    http://www.soulcatcherstudio.com/artists/link.html

Gord
    There is a 7 (I think) bulb flash in the old Burke and James catalogue. I posted a picture of it to a thread once--must be blinding! Bulbs weren't exactly cheap either.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meggaflash in Ireland http://www.meggaflash.com/ still manufactures some of the larger bulbs. Looks like one of the main users is the cavers because of the light output in the larger caves. There are some interesting cave pictures on their website. Myself I still prefer the open air as opposed to being underground
    Gord

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    O. Winston Link did a lot of really great work with homebrew flashbulb relflectors. Some of his shots took 40-50 bulbs. And those Megaflash bulbs are amazing. On their site they describe them as 'detonating' How cool is that?! Kind of like the flash on the Coneheads movie where everybody got a sunburn...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    O. Winston Link did a lot of really great work with homebrew flashbulb relflectors. Some of his shots took 40-50 bulbs. And those Megaflash bulbs are amazing. On their site they describe them as 'detonating' How cool is that?! Kind of like the flash on the Coneheads movie where everybody got a sunburn...

- Randy
    I love the one he did with the drive in theatre and the train going by. You can see some of the array of flash units if you look closely..

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an exhibition of his work - 100 photographs - at the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk Virginia until the end of December
    http://www.chrysler.org/press/owinstonlink.asp

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gordrob
    There is an exhibition of his work - 100 photographs - at the Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk Virginia until the end of December
    http://www.chrysler.org/press/owinstonlink.asp
    Fantastic! Thanks for the tip.

- Randy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    A very good friend of mine has been using flash bulbs and 4x5 linhoff to document his photo project House Calls.
    He bought a lifetime supply of bulbs on the net a few years back and has exposed thousands of sheets of film using this technique.

He just won a Freddie last week for a NFB film documentary of His project and his practice of House Calls.(he picks up his award in New York November 4th)

As a printer I can say his negatives are some of the finest to print that have worked with and the 30x40 inch prints are spectacular to view.
    I think the base for the flash is the same base used in all the Star Wars , light sabre fight scenes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's interesting, Bob. Thanks
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely use them.
    A little #5 puts out more light than the most powerful camera mounted strobe ever built. You will be able to get good light at camera to subject distances you never thought of.
    In the 40's and 50's I used hundreds of them. When photographing football games at night the faces of the crowd on the other side of the field were readable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the input. I've now gotten more 5s and 25s to add to my collection and I've taken a few shots - yet to be developed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin