Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,389   Online: 1095

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    Absolutely use them.
    When photographing football games at night the faces of the crowd on the other side of the field were readable.
    That caused a real flash back - no pun intended
    As I read your comments I thought of doing photography for the year book back in the late sixities and having to use a Rollie and flash bulbs and having to always be aware of how to calculate the f stop based on the guide no. Since then I have accumulated a bunch of bulbs - mostly the 11s and 22s and 4 dozen of the 3bs wainting for a subject to use them on. But like you say the output of this light source puts the electronic flashes to shame.
    I saw the display of photographs of O. Wintons Link in San Diego a couple of years ao and that rekindled my interest in using bulbs for big scenes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Aside from the reasons that have already been mentioned to use flash bulbs, you'll know the instant you use one and you here that POP...sizzle that the sound of a flashbulb augments the soul... well, at least comforts it.
    -KwM-

I accidentally tested mine - I didn't realise the bulb in it was still "live".

BOOOOFFF!! WTF???? Has Amsterdam just suffered a nuclear strike? Staggered around blind for a few moments, smelled the "perfume" of the spent bulb....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sajianphotos
    I found a bunch of 5 and 25 series bulds and been thinking about using them on my Speed Graphic. It's been years (a lot of 'em) since I used bulbs on my Mom's old Kodak. Anyone still use bulbs? Why? Or should I just sell my old three cell holder for to a Star Wars fan for a light laser and use my strobe?
    I regularly use bulbs and have been lucky enough to accumulate a rather large stash. I have shot weddings and do street photography with bulbs. They put out a hell of a lot of light and you can routinely use smaller f-stops for great DOF. Especially important while shooting with a Speed Graphic. Coupled with an old style emulsion, bulb flash has a great look that people recognize and like.
    DO NOT! I REPEAT, DO NOT sell your 3-cell flash unit to the Star Wars fans. If you are set on getting rid of it, sell it to a photographer that can use it. There are lots of takers out there. (I have three).

For me, when the bulb goes off the sound of the crunch and the smell of burnt lacquer kind of makes you an integral part of the process of creating an image. KWMULLET is right, it does augment the soul!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. Here it is. I got my flash working, put in a #5 bulb, and took a snap shot of my wife and her favorite hobby. (First snap with my 4X5 Navy Graphic and bulb flash). This pic will never see a fancy gallery. Nothing much artistic about it, but it's my sweety.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10584

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not only are the flash bulbs cool but.... The flash gun is a great remote for your camera if you still have a solienoid. I use my flash gun, in this way to trip the shutter when hand holding my graphic, sometimes while using a vivitar 283 attached to a bracket on the other side. The easiest way to hand hold, the beast.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin