Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 682

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Speed Grahic flash. Does anyone still use?

I found a bunch of 5 and 25 series bulds and been thinking about using them on my Speed Graphic. It's been years (a lot of 'em) since I used bulbs on my Mom's old Kodak. Anyone still use bulbs? Why? Or should I just sell my old three cell holder for to a Star Wars fan for a light laser and use my strobe?
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Georgia]Jim Anderson[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My brother bought a life-time supply of bulbs about a year ago. You might say, "well, no bulbs is a life-time supply!"

Anyway, they give out a ton of light. Check the guide numbers for them. Ouch!

Also, if you want to sync to the body (curtain) shutter in your speed, you will need the bulbs.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Deffinitely try them, especially at a gathering of people. Make sure you have them all look at the camera when you trip the shutter ;-)

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John, (J & C) has them in stock...good for street stuff...the vintage Wee Gee look...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    Deffinitely try them, especially at a gathering of people. Make sure you have them all look at the camera when you trip the shutter ;-)
    I remember as a kid getting family portraits done. We would all say "catch the cookie" as the afterburn image of the flash floated in our eyes.

Matt

Shooter
    127 Format
    We were after some flashcubes to try out with a Rollei A110, and asked a local photodealer we know if he had any. He said he'd put aside any that turned up. A few months later he gave us a HUGE bag of asorted cubes and bulbs including some BIG ones - No charge :-) We still haven't had a chance to sort them out yet (but if there's a fire in our house that room is TOASTED!).

There are plenty around. Why not try them out? Either for fun, or figure out a way to use them in a way thats different to the shot you'd get with electronic flash - a long(er) exposure perhaps?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sajianphotos
    I found a bunch of 5 and 25 series bulds and been thinking about using them on my Speed Graphic. It's been years (a lot of 'em) since I used bulbs on my Mom's old Kodak. Anyone still use bulbs? Why? Or should I just sell my old three cell holder for to a Star Wars fan for a light laser and use my strobe?

Hell, let the Star Wars fans fabricate their own light sabres, don't give up pieces of history -- useable pieces of history, yet, to those ends.

Aside from the reasons that have already been mentioned to use flash bulbs, you'll know the instant you use one and you here that POP...sizzle that the sound of a flashbulb augments the soul... well, at least comforts it. :)

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    I remember as a kid getting family portraits done. We would all say "catch the cookie" as the afterburn image of the flash floated in our eyes.

Matt
    Reading this reminded me of something that, as a kid, I loved about flash bulbs... the smell! Yeah, it sounds strange, but I always liked the smell of a just fired Press 25...

OK, I'm weird...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use them for cave photography. I have a small stock (~100-125) right now in various strengths, and wouldn't give them up for anything.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it probably bears mentioning that http://flashbulbs.com/ carries an extensive inventory of new stock (not recently manufactured, but bulbs that have never been sold to end-users).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin